On Monday afternoon, I received this text from Naresh, who’s one of the Nepalese tenants in Property 1:
“Hey Ahkenaten, I have something to talk with you about people living in your house. We wanna make some changes in our family. So, when is your good time to see you”
As one might expect, this text drove me nuts. His English wasn’t great, but it almost looked as if he was saying his family is moving out. No. NO. NO!!! Living underneath them has been one of the very few joys I’ve had in Smalltown. I come home and smell Indian home cooking. I hear nursery rhymes playing on the TV for the baby. And I hear giggling. All day, nothing but giggling! Does one have any idea how cool it is to live under such a happy environment?! And now it could all be coming to an end?! Screw that! I agreed to meet him in the apartment after work, prepared to suck dick for them to stay.
Currently, the downstairs tenants of Property 1 are Naresh, his brother Yam, Yam’s wife, and their 1-year-old baby. Apparently, Yam is moving out with his wife and kid to live in Vermont. Since the rent is too much for Naresh to pay on his own, his older brother Ballo wants to move in with his wife and two teenage daughters. That would make it five people living in a 2 bedroom apartment. I told Naresh and Ballo that it would be okay with me, as long as the rent is paid on time and everyone remains respectful. Naresh is gonna convert part of the living room into a bedroom for himself until he can save up some money and move out by the summer. If I have a refinanced apartment finished and available by then, I would love to move him in as a tenant.
You know, I just thought of something. When they first came, it was Naresh, Yam, and their sister. The sister got married in the backyard, and then moved to Vermont. Yam gets married, and now he’s moving to Vermont. I should have asked Naresh what’s so important in Vermont, because they can’t be going there for the weather. Maybe there’s an established Nepali community there or something. Property 1 seems to be the conduit for Naresh’s family to migrate from Nepal to Smalltown, and then to Vermont after marriage. And I know it’s risky to move in people from a different country. Naresh can say Ballo’s his big brother, but he could just be a family friend. But I’ve had good times with my Nepali tenants, so I’m gonna go off of Naresh’s recommendation and live with the consequences.
Naresh admitted that Ballo didn’t like Property X’s area, which is why they didn’t take the apartment when it was available. Ballo and his family currently live across the street from Property X in a single family house, but don’t like it very much. They said the place was in bad condition and the landlord doesn’t fix anything. It’s kinda cool that they would rather live in a smaller apartment in my property than a big house. Anyway, it looks like I’ll have more people that’ll be living directly above me. It sucks that I won’t hear anymore lullabies or nursery rhymes, but I can live without that. What I can’t live without is the giggling. If they don’t giggle, I’ll probably throw them out…
P.S.: It felt good hearing Naresh complain about the issues Ballo has with his landlord. They learned like the Africans of Property X learned: if you’re an immigrant and want a landlord to treat you like a human being, I’m your best option. Treat myself and my property with respect, and I’ll make sure your living experience is awesome. Screw with me and, as the Africans found out soon after I threw them out, I’ll throw you to the white hillbilly landlords who will treat you like garbage.
“Hey Ahkenaten, I have something to talk with you about people living in your house. We wanna make some changes in our family. So, when is your good time to see you”
As one might expect, this text drove me nuts. His English wasn’t great, but it almost looked as if he was saying his family is moving out. No. NO. NO!!! Living underneath them has been one of the very few joys I’ve had in Smalltown. I come home and smell Indian home cooking. I hear nursery rhymes playing on the TV for the baby. And I hear giggling. All day, nothing but giggling! Does one have any idea how cool it is to live under such a happy environment?! And now it could all be coming to an end?! Screw that! I agreed to meet him in the apartment after work, prepared to suck dick for them to stay.
Currently, the downstairs tenants of Property 1 are Naresh, his brother Yam, Yam’s wife, and their 1-year-old baby. Apparently, Yam is moving out with his wife and kid to live in Vermont. Since the rent is too much for Naresh to pay on his own, his older brother Ballo wants to move in with his wife and two teenage daughters. That would make it five people living in a 2 bedroom apartment. I told Naresh and Ballo that it would be okay with me, as long as the rent is paid on time and everyone remains respectful. Naresh is gonna convert part of the living room into a bedroom for himself until he can save up some money and move out by the summer. If I have a refinanced apartment finished and available by then, I would love to move him in as a tenant.
You know, I just thought of something. When they first came, it was Naresh, Yam, and their sister. The sister got married in the backyard, and then moved to Vermont. Yam gets married, and now he’s moving to Vermont. I should have asked Naresh what’s so important in Vermont, because they can’t be going there for the weather. Maybe there’s an established Nepali community there or something. Property 1 seems to be the conduit for Naresh’s family to migrate from Nepal to Smalltown, and then to Vermont after marriage. And I know it’s risky to move in people from a different country. Naresh can say Ballo’s his big brother, but he could just be a family friend. But I’ve had good times with my Nepali tenants, so I’m gonna go off of Naresh’s recommendation and live with the consequences.
Naresh admitted that Ballo didn’t like Property X’s area, which is why they didn’t take the apartment when it was available. Ballo and his family currently live across the street from Property X in a single family house, but don’t like it very much. They said the place was in bad condition and the landlord doesn’t fix anything. It’s kinda cool that they would rather live in a smaller apartment in my property than a big house. Anyway, it looks like I’ll have more people that’ll be living directly above me. It sucks that I won’t hear anymore lullabies or nursery rhymes, but I can live without that. What I can’t live without is the giggling. If they don’t giggle, I’ll probably throw them out…
P.S.: It felt good hearing Naresh complain about the issues Ballo has with his landlord. They learned like the Africans of Property X learned: if you’re an immigrant and want a landlord to treat you like a human being, I’m your best option. Treat myself and my property with respect, and I’ll make sure your living experience is awesome. Screw with me and, as the Africans found out soon after I threw them out, I’ll throw you to the white hillbilly landlords who will treat you like garbage.
No comments:
Post a Comment