Tuesday, March 1, 2016

February 2016 Food Report

Groceries: $197.70 (up $54.28 or 37.85% from January)

Unnecessary Outside Food and Snacks: $47.29 (down $74.09 or 61.04% from January)

Total Spent For February 2016: $244.99 (down $19.81 or 7.84% from January)


Even after caught myself falling into my winter food gorging pattern, I still ate way too much unnecessary food. While $47 is a big drop from January’s $122, it’s still higher than the $10 - $20 I usually spend on unnecessary foods.

The worst thing was that the outside food binge happened on the same week that I was saving weekend rice to make chicken burritos. By Thursday of that week, I had to throw out the now-stale rice which was a big waste. I made up for it the very next week, though:

Ground chicken with spices and onions, with weekend rice waiting to be added to the party. Used canola oil to fry it all.

100% whole wheat wrap, and I added some fresh SALSA to the equation


I grilled them all on the George Foreman grill to give it a crispier taste

Fuck Chipotle! I really enjoyed making these burritos, and I’m looking to add more ingredients in the future. They taste fantastic, and don’t require too much work to prepare. I simply add the leftover weekend rice into the taco and it becomes a burrito. Now I just need to add some beans, green peppers, and roasted red peppers to make it awesome. Speaking of additives:


The big find this month was the spice Garam Masala. Sam and his wife Sonya took me to an Indian buffet, and I commented on how good the goat curry tasted. That’s when Sonya mentioned that the sauce they use for it is made from Garam Masala. The second we were done, I went to the Indian grocery store next door and bought it. I used when frying the ground chicken for the burritos, as well as my weekend chicken. Both times, the taste was awesome! So awesome, in fact, that Garam Masala replaces paprika as my favorite spice to use on meats. I have to start looking for more foreign spices rather than these American ones. American spices are okay, but they’re usually bogged down with whatever crappy chemicals they put in it. Basic stuff. When I was a kid, the best tasting foods were flavored with African spices. I’ll look online and see if there are any others to try.

You know, I’d love to count February as a victory somehow. Like, since I counted five weeks instead of four, I actually spent a weekly average of $48.99. So if this were a regular four week system, I would have spent $195.99 which would put me under my $200 budget. But I’m not known for excuses. The truth is, had I not bought any unnecessary outside food and snacks, I would have been under $200. Period. The crazy thing is that almost all of the unnecessary food was bought on two days (waiting for my oil change and the night before the -22 degree day). Hopefully this month will be much better than February.

P.S.: I tried out salmon steak and it was disgusting. They take salmon and try to season it as a steak, but the combination is just awful. It made me want a real steak. I threw the remaining salmon steaks in the garbage, and I've promised myself not to buy it again. I'll buy a salmon. I may even buy a steak once in a while. But never a salmon steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment