Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Pay Raise

     I wasn’t planning on writing a post until this weekend, but this couldn’t wait. Last Friday I was leaving for work when my boss told me I had a paper to sign. It was an agreement for a pay raise, from $11.87 to $14.00.

     Now, most people would look at this and wonder what the big deal is. After all, most normal security jobs are around the $12 - $15 an hour to start, so why is this so important? And the only reason for the raise is because the new minimum wage is gonna be $13. But it’s important because this is the most I’ve ever been paid an hour. For almost ten years I went from $9.79 to $11.87, and now I’m gonna get an over $2 raise just like that? It shocked me and I wasn’t sure what to do… except to sign the damned document of course. On the drive home, I started to realize that the pay raise has changed my plans about quitting paycheck work.

     You see, I’ve worked security for a long time. Low pay is something I’m used to, so getting paid $11.87 an hour was nothing to me. That low pay made it easy for me to say that I’m quitting at the end of this year. But $14 is about the standard pay or a security guard who walks around in a dirty suit scratching his ass and playing video games in his car. It feels good to finally be paid what my job is worth. Wanting this feeling to continue, I’ve decided to stay on the job past 2018.

     It won’t be too much longer into 2019 that I’ll finally quit. The plan is to work for a couple weeks in January, take a vacation that uses up all my vacation hours (roughly three weeks), and then work one more week before I quit. The final week is just to make sure they pay my vacation, as some companies like to do bullshit with vacation pay for someone who’s quitting. In the end, I’ll work until the middle of February 2019. The extra income will also help pay off the massive debts I’ll accumulate with the renovation of the Property 5 apartments and the creation of the attic apartment.

     The pay raise did not change how I feel about paycheck work. I can’t wait to stop dealing with jobs in general and focus on real estate and living the life I feel I deserve. But getting paid my job’s worth for the first time ever is a nice feeling, and having about six months of that feeling is a better send-off than what I had planned.

P.S.: Trust me, I recognize it. It is very sad that after working so many jobs, $14 an hour is my highest hourly pay rate. Especially with a college degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment