Property X
Apt 1- Monica and Family: $0 (EVICTED)
Apt 2 – Consuela: $720 ($600 + $35 Late Fee + $85 Eviction Filing Fee)
Total Rents Received: $720
Property Expenses: $0 (Alfonso Fee already taken out)
Total Profit for Anita: $720 [2017: $1,035]
Apt 1- Monica and Family: $0 (EVICTED)
Apt 2 – Consuela: $720 ($600 + $35 Late Fee + $85 Eviction Filing Fee)
Total Rents Received: $720
Property Expenses: $0 (Alfonso Fee already taken out)
Total Profit for Anita: $720 [2017: $1,035]
Edit: $384.39 owed to Anita after $335.61 Geico payment
Monica didn’t pay rent, and kept coming up with excuse after excuse as to why she didn’t pay. First she said she had it, but Alfonso didn’t come to get it in time. Then she said she had to move to a hotel because she was afraid of the next door neighbors, but her baby’s father was still staying there and had the check. This made no sense because there’s no reason for her not to be there for that specific excuse if her live-in boyfriend is there. My best guess is that she wanted to leave her man and also got tired of the sidewalk construction, which made it difficult for her handicapped ass to move in and out. I also received a letter from Section 8 asking for landlord information for her, so I knew she was gonna leave soon. The fact that she bounced last month’s check and then came up with all these excuses spelled the end for Monica’s tenancy. She didn’t even show up to court so the eviction was easily granted.
Consuela was also late on rent and had an eviction filed against her, but she paid the rent plus the late fee and the eviction filing fee. The plan now is to get new tenants for the downstairs apartment (hopefully for $800), and then move Consuela out and leave the apartment empty for Anita as she requested. Alfonso’s recent uselessness also means that I’ll have him get the place rented out, but pay rent like everyone else. He was such a piece of shit and I’m tired of paying him a monthly maintenance fee to screw things up.
Property 1
Apt 1 – VACANT: $0
Apt 2 - Sebastian: $875
Total Rents Received: $875
Mortgage: $840
National Grid: $172.39 [2017: $116.54]
Property Expenses: $526.74 (countertop, paint, and floor tile)
Total Profit: -$664.13 [2017: $450.06]
When November first started, I have to admit that I missed the Nepali people. I especially missed the old lady that was there. As time went on, however, I got used to having their apartment empty, allowing me to play TV shows, movies, games, and pornography at a normal volume. It feels good and gives me a small taste of the freedom I’ll have in my attic apartment.I bought the materials needed to get Handyman Jerry started on the vacant apartment, so it should be ready to be rented out very soon.
Property 2
Apt 1 – NEW TENANT: Brenda: $1620 ($750 rent, $20 pet fee, $100 early move-in, $750 security deposit)
Apt 2 - Edward and Gabby: $750
Total Received: $2,370
Rent Application Fees: $100 (five applications)
Mortgage: $755
Property Expenses: $6.45 (Key replication)
Total Profit: $1,508.55 [2017: $746]
I did a lot of searching for a new tenant, deciding finally to go with Brenda. Brenda’s in her early twenties and has an awesome dog. I had reservations about her age and income so I had her mother co-sign, just in case she doesn’t work out. I know I wasn’t too keen on having black people move in, but I liked her and she seems to fit in just right. I was also mesmerized by how closely she resembles Brooklyn Mike’s sister Monet. Anyway, Property 2 is once again fully rented out and I couldn’t be more relieved.
Property 3
Apt 1 – Danny and Maria: $745 ($35 LATE FEE)
Apt 2 – Emily: $670
Apt 3 – Rory: $600
Apt 4 – VACANT
Total Rents Received: $2,015
Rent Applications: $10 (one applicant)
Mortgage: $882
Property Expenses: $45.38 (Handyman Jerry window fix + window seal kit)
National Grid: $193.04 [2017: $204.57]
Total Profit: $904.58 [2017: $1,138.43]
I got pissed off at Danny and Maria for paying rent late, but they made up for it by finding someone who actually wants the vacant apartment. Maria’s sister Holly, who hangs out with Maria all the time, contacted me to express interest in the apartment. Holly’s mom is moving out of their house so Holly would like to have a place for herself. She has a decent job in insurance and, although she’s a little young (20), I think I’m gonna give her the place. My only reservations are her age and the fact that her boyfriend who was supposed to move in with her backed out and left me this message:
“Hi sir. I just wanted to let you know that I will not be moving in with Holly. Also wanted to let you know that you might wanna look into her a little more. She isn’t the best person to have as a tenant. Thank you for your time.”
While I’d normally brush this off as a jilted boyfriend, the way he wrote the message made me think otherwise. I asked him to clarify but he didn’t respond. I’ll look into everything a little more, but I really don’t see anyone else interested in the apartment.
Property 4
Tenant Latisha: $900
Mortgage: $608
Property Expenses: $0
Total Profit: $292 [2017: $900]
Chillin’.
Property 5
Apt 1 – VACANT
Apt 2 – Rich: $500
Apt 3 – VACANT
Apt 4 – VACANT
Total Rents Received: $500
Mortgage: $1,048
Property Expenses: $169.27 (shelving wood, tub handle/faucet, corner bead, etc)
Total Profit: -$717.27
While on vacation in NYC for Thanksgiving, Rich called me to let me know that the smoke detectors in Apartment #3 were going off. Scared of another fire, I called Alfonso to quickly go over there and check things out. Thankfully there was no fire, but a water line in Apartment #4 busted due to the cold weather and leaked down to Apartment #3, setting off the detector and flooding the new kitchen and bathroom floor that Handyman Jerry just put down.
To make matters worse, the drain of #3’s toilet is busted, so that needs to be replaced before I rent out the apartment. And the bathtub also needs to be painted to hide some very annoying stains. With any luck, I should be able to get the place rental ready by the middle of December.
Net Real Estate Profit for November 2018: $1,323.73 [2017: $3,234.49]
Let's be clear. The only reason why I made money in November is due to Alfonso's incompetence. Due to him not doing what he's supposed to, that held up all the other work that needed to be done so there was no one to pay.
I really can’t wait to rid myself of Alfonso. While he did help out in checking out the smoke detector issue, he would have been able to catch the water pipe bust much earlier had he been there doing work. Instead he’s doing work at other places and I’m fed up. My main concern is that I’ll be renting out the downstairs apartment of Property 1 in December and I don’t want anyone knowing I live in the basement. The attic apartment was supposed to be close to finished at this point, but there’s still so much work that needs to be done.
Once the furnace is functioning and the attic is nice and warm, Alfonso and his guys should be able to get the sheetrock and the ceiling grid up before Christmas. Afterwards, he has to configure the drains and water lines so that he can finally put the floor down and I can start moving in the appliances. During that time, I should be able to get HVAC Gonzalez or Electrician Floyd to finish their work.
December is all about renting out the two apartments in Property 5 and the downstairs of Property 1. Renting out Property 3’s vacant apartment would be a bonus, but I’m not holding my breath. If I can't get at least two apartments rented out, I’ll have an extremely hard time paying my mortgages and labor for the attic apartment.
P.S.: You know, I should be very excited right now. I'm getting closer to paycheck retirement... something I've waited two decades for. But the stress of getting the attic apartment finished, getting the apartments rented out, and maxed out credit cards is ruining what should be a great time. I'll have to wait until all this shit is done before I get excited about anything.
Monica didn’t pay rent, and kept coming up with excuse after excuse as to why she didn’t pay. First she said she had it, but Alfonso didn’t come to get it in time. Then she said she had to move to a hotel because she was afraid of the next door neighbors, but her baby’s father was still staying there and had the check. This made no sense because there’s no reason for her not to be there for that specific excuse if her live-in boyfriend is there. My best guess is that she wanted to leave her man and also got tired of the sidewalk construction, which made it difficult for her handicapped ass to move in and out. I also received a letter from Section 8 asking for landlord information for her, so I knew she was gonna leave soon. The fact that she bounced last month’s check and then came up with all these excuses spelled the end for Monica’s tenancy. She didn’t even show up to court so the eviction was easily granted.
Consuela was also late on rent and had an eviction filed against her, but she paid the rent plus the late fee and the eviction filing fee. The plan now is to get new tenants for the downstairs apartment (hopefully for $800), and then move Consuela out and leave the apartment empty for Anita as she requested. Alfonso’s recent uselessness also means that I’ll have him get the place rented out, but pay rent like everyone else. He was such a piece of shit and I’m tired of paying him a monthly maintenance fee to screw things up.
Property 1
Apt 1 – VACANT: $0
Apt 2 - Sebastian: $875
Total Rents Received: $875
Mortgage: $840
National Grid: $172.39 [2017: $116.54]
Property Expenses: $526.74 (countertop, paint, and floor tile)
Total Profit: -$664.13 [2017: $450.06]
When November first started, I have to admit that I missed the Nepali people. I especially missed the old lady that was there. As time went on, however, I got used to having their apartment empty, allowing me to play TV shows, movies, games, and pornography at a normal volume. It feels good and gives me a small taste of the freedom I’ll have in my attic apartment.I bought the materials needed to get Handyman Jerry started on the vacant apartment, so it should be ready to be rented out very soon.
Property 2
Apt 1 – NEW TENANT: Brenda: $1620 ($750 rent, $20 pet fee, $100 early move-in, $750 security deposit)
Apt 2 - Edward and Gabby: $750
Total Received: $2,370
Rent Application Fees: $100 (five applications)
Mortgage: $755
Property Expenses: $6.45 (Key replication)
Total Profit: $1,508.55 [2017: $746]
I did a lot of searching for a new tenant, deciding finally to go with Brenda. Brenda’s in her early twenties and has an awesome dog. I had reservations about her age and income so I had her mother co-sign, just in case she doesn’t work out. I know I wasn’t too keen on having black people move in, but I liked her and she seems to fit in just right. I was also mesmerized by how closely she resembles Brooklyn Mike’s sister Monet. Anyway, Property 2 is once again fully rented out and I couldn’t be more relieved.
Property 3
Apt 1 – Danny and Maria: $745 ($35 LATE FEE)
Apt 2 – Emily: $670
Apt 3 – Rory: $600
Apt 4 – VACANT
Total Rents Received: $2,015
Rent Applications: $10 (one applicant)
Mortgage: $882
Property Expenses: $45.38 (Handyman Jerry window fix + window seal kit)
National Grid: $193.04 [2017: $204.57]
Total Profit: $904.58 [2017: $1,138.43]
I got pissed off at Danny and Maria for paying rent late, but they made up for it by finding someone who actually wants the vacant apartment. Maria’s sister Holly, who hangs out with Maria all the time, contacted me to express interest in the apartment. Holly’s mom is moving out of their house so Holly would like to have a place for herself. She has a decent job in insurance and, although she’s a little young (20), I think I’m gonna give her the place. My only reservations are her age and the fact that her boyfriend who was supposed to move in with her backed out and left me this message:
“Hi sir. I just wanted to let you know that I will not be moving in with Holly. Also wanted to let you know that you might wanna look into her a little more. She isn’t the best person to have as a tenant. Thank you for your time.”
While I’d normally brush this off as a jilted boyfriend, the way he wrote the message made me think otherwise. I asked him to clarify but he didn’t respond. I’ll look into everything a little more, but I really don’t see anyone else interested in the apartment.
Property 4
Tenant Latisha: $900
Mortgage: $608
Property Expenses: $0
Total Profit: $292 [2017: $900]
Chillin’.
Property 5
Apt 1 – VACANT
Apt 2 – Rich: $500
Apt 3 – VACANT
Apt 4 – VACANT
Total Rents Received: $500
Mortgage: $1,048
Property Expenses: $169.27 (shelving wood, tub handle/faucet, corner bead, etc)
Total Profit: -$717.27
While on vacation in NYC for Thanksgiving, Rich called me to let me know that the smoke detectors in Apartment #3 were going off. Scared of another fire, I called Alfonso to quickly go over there and check things out. Thankfully there was no fire, but a water line in Apartment #4 busted due to the cold weather and leaked down to Apartment #3, setting off the detector and flooding the new kitchen and bathroom floor that Handyman Jerry just put down.
![]() |
| The exposed water pipe above this apartment busted and, since Al was nowhere to be seen for days while I was on vacation, the water soaked pretty much everything in the bathroom and kitchen. |
![]() |
| Most of the ceiling came down due to the water. Thankfully it's a drop ceiling, so all I have to do is replace the ceiling tile and fix the grid. |
To make matters worse, the drain of #3’s toilet is busted, so that needs to be replaced before I rent out the apartment. And the bathtub also needs to be painted to hide some very annoying stains. With any luck, I should be able to get the place rental ready by the middle of December.
Net Real Estate Profit for November 2018: $1,323.73 [2017: $3,234.49]
Let's be clear. The only reason why I made money in November is due to Alfonso's incompetence. Due to him not doing what he's supposed to, that held up all the other work that needed to be done so there was no one to pay.
I really can’t wait to rid myself of Alfonso. While he did help out in checking out the smoke detector issue, he would have been able to catch the water pipe bust much earlier had he been there doing work. Instead he’s doing work at other places and I’m fed up. My main concern is that I’ll be renting out the downstairs apartment of Property 1 in December and I don’t want anyone knowing I live in the basement. The attic apartment was supposed to be close to finished at this point, but there’s still so much work that needs to be done.
Once the furnace is functioning and the attic is nice and warm, Alfonso and his guys should be able to get the sheetrock and the ceiling grid up before Christmas. Afterwards, he has to configure the drains and water lines so that he can finally put the floor down and I can start moving in the appliances. During that time, I should be able to get HVAC Gonzalez or Electrician Floyd to finish their work.
December is all about renting out the two apartments in Property 5 and the downstairs of Property 1. Renting out Property 3’s vacant apartment would be a bonus, but I’m not holding my breath. If I can't get at least two apartments rented out, I’ll have an extremely hard time paying my mortgages and labor for the attic apartment.
P.S.: You know, I should be very excited right now. I'm getting closer to paycheck retirement... something I've waited two decades for. But the stress of getting the attic apartment finished, getting the apartments rented out, and maxed out credit cards is ruining what should be a great time. I'll have to wait until all this shit is done before I get excited about anything.


No comments:
Post a Comment