2/5/2015
TWTR (Twitter Inc.)
Bought 100 TWTR shares at 41.23
2/6/2015
Bought 100 TWTR shares at $46.18
2/9/2015
Sold 200 TWTR shares of at $46.78 for a $593.31 PROFIT
2/18/2015
SCTY (Solar City)
Bought 20 SCTY shares at $56.56
2/20/2015
Sold 20 SCTY shares at $53.90 for a $67.42 LOSS
Total Income for February: $525.89
I did well in February, but things
could have been a lot better. My plan was to buy TWTR just before their
earnings report and then sell it. Then I was supposed to buy HOT (Starwood
Hotels and Resorts World) before their earnings report and then sell. After
that, I would watch SCTY to see if it was worth buying and make my move.
I bought TWTR and, as I expected, the
earnings report was good and the stock jumped up. So I “sold” the stock once it
reached a good profit and everything was fine. I woke up Saturday morning and
saw that my profit was even more than before, and I didn’t understand why. Then
it hit me. Instead of selling my 100 shares of TWTR, I actually BOUGHT 100 more
shares of TWTR. Thankfully I still made profit as the stock continued to go up
after the second purchase. But every piece of good news always has bad news.
Because I had just sold my TWTR shares on that Monday, my money wouldn’t settle
in time to buy HOT and sell the way I wanted. I could have made at least $1000
this month had I did things as planned, but I took it as a lesson learned. From
now on I set my phone alarm at 3:55pm, so that I can take a final look at my
positions before the stock market closes. Had I caught my mistake and sold before the market closed on that Friday, I would have bought
many shares in HOT and killed the month of February.
I watched SCTY and had my reservations
against buying it. Zacks gave it a strong buy, but I didn’t see any reason for
it to have a good earnings report. Not only that, but the stock had been going
up for that entire week, and I simply felt that it was rising to fall. It also
didn’t help that it’s another Elon Musk company, and I was still feeling the
pain of January’s TSLA trade. But just in case, I decided to buy 20 shares
anyway. The stock dropped and has yet to recover (currently trading at $51 a
share which is $5 lower than when I bought it).
So the month of February was a success,
as I exceeded my $300 monthly quota. I’ve felt what it was like to lose over
$750 in January, and then to make $525 in February. Yeah, I like how the latter
feels MUCH more.
P.S.: Because I sold JBLU at the beginning of February, that should count towards February's profit and not January's. I'll probably leave it as is and make sure not to do that in the future.
P.S.: Because I sold JBLU at the beginning of February, that should count towards February's profit and not January's. I'll probably leave it as is and make sure not to do that in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment