Groceries: $134.54, a decrease of 5.78%
Unnecessary Outside Food and Snacks: $101.82, a decrease of 50.13%
Total Spent On Food for April 2016: $236.36, a decrease of 31.88%
I did better than last month but I really expected to spend less in May, especially on outside food. Halfway into the month, I started buying outside food almost impulsively. Whether it was breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it seemed so difficult to stop buying from restaurants and didn’t understand why. I mean, why now? Now that I have almost no money to spend thanks to Property 4's repairs, shouldn’t that be the time I cling to homemade food which is cheaper and better for me? It didn’t make sense until last week, when I started writing this post. It occurred to me that this strange behavior might have started almost a decade ago, when I first came to Smalltown.
After buying Property 1 back in 2007, I decided that being a landlord from NYC wasn’t going to work. So I moved to Smalltown and stayed with Sam in the finished basement of one of his properties. At the time, he was doing a full renovation of his first and only commercial property, a 6 unit brick building with 4 apartments and 2 store fronts. Every day we’d go out and I’d watch him supervise his workers. Sometimes I’d join in and help out. During this time, we always ate outside food. Sometimes we’d even buy food for the workers, and I had that same feeling with the renovation of Property 4. Once I leave the bank job, I'm either going to Property 4 to make sure things are on schedule or driving with Alfonso to pick up materials. Once the day is over I didn’t feel like cooking. I would just lay down on the bed and watch shows until I pass out.
I honestly wasn’t prepared for this behavior. It didn’t occur to me that I would repeat a pattern from over 9 years ago. And the bad news is that I don’t know how to stop it. It’s an almost uncontrollable urge to eat outside food right now. I haven’t even bought groceries for June and I don’t plan to until the renovations on Property 4 are complete and the place is rented out. It’ll be done by the end of this week anyway, so it makes no sense spending the time and energy for figure it out.
During the month of May, I tried to reach the 300g of protein per day quota that the personal trainer told me to. This became almost impossible. The most I was able to do was 200g, and I really had to stuff myself to make that happen. And I don’t think I’ll be trying the 300g of protein task again for two reasons. The first is that it's hard to find foods that are high in protein and taste good. The second is more of a personal reason. See, in order to build muscle, I have to increase my protein intake AND work out. I haven’t been to the gym in two weeks. In fact, I’m probably going to cancel my membership this week. I… I just don't have the energy. And it’s not just health problems. I consider that gym like a rebound girlfriend. I jumped from the old gym and went to this one without thinking. Both the gym and its locker room are way too small, and I don’t feel the same comfort that I did at my first gym. Increasing protein intake and decreasing workouts usually equals weight increase. So I’ll do DDP Yoga until I feel better and, once I do, I’ll make sure to sign up with the YMCA.
Yeah. Fresh chicken! I decided to buy fresh chicken from the butcher shop, and have them cut it up into small pieces. Let me say this: there is a HUGE difference between the tastes of fresh chicken and frozen chicken. Fresh chicken tastes so much better, and it holds the flavor of the seasonings better too. I buy it on a Friday, mix in some seasonings overnight It costs about $10 more a month than buying it in a large pack from BJs, but it’s definitely worth it. Other than the fresh chicken discovery, May was yet another bad food month.
June will be about the same as May. Until Property 4 gets rented out, I don’t see myself cooking as much as I should. Once that happens, I’ll definitely get back to my wonderful home cooked meals without a problem. Til then, I’ll try to make healthy choices when buying outside food. That’s about the best I can do at this point.
P.S.: The only thing that really stops me from buying outside food is if there are too many people in the restaurant/store. I'd rather starve to death than to wait for my food with a bunch of savages.
Unnecessary Outside Food and Snacks: $101.82, a decrease of 50.13%
Total Spent On Food for April 2016: $236.36, a decrease of 31.88%
I did better than last month but I really expected to spend less in May, especially on outside food. Halfway into the month, I started buying outside food almost impulsively. Whether it was breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it seemed so difficult to stop buying from restaurants and didn’t understand why. I mean, why now? Now that I have almost no money to spend thanks to Property 4's repairs, shouldn’t that be the time I cling to homemade food which is cheaper and better for me? It didn’t make sense until last week, when I started writing this post. It occurred to me that this strange behavior might have started almost a decade ago, when I first came to Smalltown.
After buying Property 1 back in 2007, I decided that being a landlord from NYC wasn’t going to work. So I moved to Smalltown and stayed with Sam in the finished basement of one of his properties. At the time, he was doing a full renovation of his first and only commercial property, a 6 unit brick building with 4 apartments and 2 store fronts. Every day we’d go out and I’d watch him supervise his workers. Sometimes I’d join in and help out. During this time, we always ate outside food. Sometimes we’d even buy food for the workers, and I had that same feeling with the renovation of Property 4. Once I leave the bank job, I'm either going to Property 4 to make sure things are on schedule or driving with Alfonso to pick up materials. Once the day is over I didn’t feel like cooking. I would just lay down on the bed and watch shows until I pass out.
I honestly wasn’t prepared for this behavior. It didn’t occur to me that I would repeat a pattern from over 9 years ago. And the bad news is that I don’t know how to stop it. It’s an almost uncontrollable urge to eat outside food right now. I haven’t even bought groceries for June and I don’t plan to until the renovations on Property 4 are complete and the place is rented out. It’ll be done by the end of this week anyway, so it makes no sense spending the time and energy for figure it out.
![]() |
| Juicy pieces of chicken and beef on a whole wheat wrap. Over 40g of protein per serving. |
![]() |
| Chicken from the butcher shop |
June will be about the same as May. Until Property 4 gets rented out, I don’t see myself cooking as much as I should. Once that happens, I’ll definitely get back to my wonderful home cooked meals without a problem. Til then, I’ll try to make healthy choices when buying outside food. That’s about the best I can do at this point.
P.S.: The only thing that really stops me from buying outside food is if there are too many people in the restaurant/store. I'd rather starve to death than to wait for my food with a bunch of savages.


No comments:
Post a Comment