Sunday, November 12, 2017

No Nonsense

     You know, when I started blogging back in 2009 on the old website, it was supposed to be a real estate blog. After a few posts, I realized that I couldn’t write about real estate without writing about myself. While many real estate blogs focus on providing helpful information to strangers, I made sure that everything focused on me because I was the only person I wanted to help. So it ranged in a variety of topics: from family to sex to personal issues and so on.

     My favorite resource for real estate advice and ideas is a site called No Nonsense Landlord. The guy owns twice as many units as I do and, while working a full-time job, was able to use the rental profits to pay off the properties in 6 years. He stresses credit scores and monthly income as the main factors of screening tenants, and does all his own maintenance (as long as it’s minor). He even has a neat downloadable log of all his repairs every year. A great example of his website is a post he wrote on July 29th, in which he detailed how to do a bathroom remodel cheap. I’ll post the link HERE.

     You see? THAT’S a real estate blog post. Detailed information that shows how to do a full bathroom remodel, and the steps are easy to follow. That bathroom post inspired me to the point that I definitely plan to do turnovers and minor repairs on my own from now on, especially after September when I did most of the work myself. I don’t like paying Handyman Alfonso for stuff that I can do myself. And, if I don’t know how to do it, I’ll watch Youtube videos or have Alfonso supervise while I do it.

Over the years I bought a lot of tools, so many that I had to buy another tool bag last month. What's the point of all these tools if I'm not gonna use them?

     I started going through my old blog and noticed that there were some posts that had very good real estate information that I could be using in my current situations. So I’ll find the specific posts, and then transfer them here along with an excerpt about how it applies to me. I also want to add a search bar so that I can search for a specific topic. Those labels turned out to be kind of useless.

     I know that this is not nor will ever be a true real estate blog, and I’m definitely not a normal landlord. But I should still have good real estate and property management information, as well as a simple means to find it all.

P.S.: The fact that the No Nonsense Landlord paid off his properties in 6 years got me thinking. With one property already paid off, should my focus be on paying off my properties for profit rather than buying another mortgaged property? The 30% rule tells me no, but the thought of having no mortgages and no debt has its appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment