Property X
Apt 1- Black Family: $700
Apt 2 – Consuela: $600
Total Rents Received: $1,300
Property Expenses: $210 ($120 Property Maintenance + $90 Lawn Care June and July)
Water Bill: $132.94 [2017: $136.85]
Total Profit for Anita: $957.06 [2017: $913.15]
Not much happened in July at Property X. Anita’s tax bill was due and was paid through June’s profits, along with $200 from her account and $500 she gave me as a “gift”. Considering how things ended when she left, I didn’t feel comfortable keeping the money she gave me. It’s like accepting money for pissing me off. I also got rid of anything else brought for me in that regard. Anyway, I know she wanted some stuff done like cutting down some bushes and replacing some windows, so I’ll get to that in August. She also plans on visiting again to move some of her storage materials into the Property X basement, but I’ll let her coordinate that with Alfonso. As one may guess, I prefer to stay away from her as much as possible.
Property 1
Apt 1 – Dharma and Family: $525
Apt 2 - Belle and Sebastian: $875
Total Rents Received: $1,400
Mortgage: $840
National Grid: $151.85 [2017: $112.68]
Property Expenses: $0
Water Bill: $94.14 [2017: $94.14]
Total Profit: $314.01 [2017: $253.34]
You know, I’ve always liked kids. But dealing with the Nepali family and them bringing kids over to run around over me has really made me despise children. Well, maybe not kids but definitely the parents of these little bastards. It seems like every month I debate throwing them out, and I usually end up letting it go. And why? They pay rent on time every month and, if it weren’t for me living underneath them, I’d love them as tenants. But I have to learn lessons from the past. Carver from Property 2 was a “good tenant” so I kept rent low, ironically at the same price of $525. That same apartment now goes for $750 with low turnover costs. I can probably get $750 for the Nepali apartment so, regardless of whether I’m in or out of the basement, I don’t see them staying once I raise the rent. The question, of course, is when?
Property 2
Apt 1 – NEW TENANT – Andy and Kia: $1,650
Apt 2 - Edward and Gabby: $750
Total Rents Received: $2,400
Mortgage: $754
Property Expenses: $864.74 (Chimney fix + Dump Fees + Renovation)
Water Bill: $93.20 [2017: $136.85]
Application Fees: $60
Total Profit: $748.06 [2017: $560.14]
The turnover of Nicholas’ apartment was wonderfully cheap, costing around $200. But there was an issue with the crumbling chimney where bricks were falling down into the driveway. This had been going on for years, as the old tenant Carver once had the chimney cap drop onto the top of his car and dent it. Not wanting a potential lawsuit, I decided to pay Alfonso $600 to fix the chimney. Finding a tenant wasn’t difficult at all, as I received calls left and right for that place. But the first prospective tenants that walked through the door were Asians, Vietnamese to be exact. Andy and Kia are a boyfriend/girlfriend couple. Both are college graduates working on their post-graduate degrees. To be very honest, the second I saw they were Asian I wanted them. So I did my usual background check and quickly told them that they were approved. I also charged a pro-rated rent fee of $150 for moving in early. For whatever reason, I haven’t collected pro-rated rent as often as I could in the past. With tenants becoming my sole source of income starting next year, you can bet your ass that I’ll be gunning for every cent I’m legally owed. Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to having my first ever Asian tenants
While cutting and pulling weeds in the backyard, I realized how much I enjoy gardening. Not only was it relaxing, but it gave my legs a great workout. I plan on salting that whole area in August because the growth is just too much, but I think I'm gonna be doing more gardening when I retire from paycheck work next year. I mean, I gotta have something to do, and it would save me from paying the lawn mowing company... especially since they've become less and less reliable.
Property 3
Apt 1B – NEW TENANTS – Maria and Danny: $1,500
Apt 1F – Emily: $680 (rent is $670, extra $10 was for May’s dog fee)
Apt 2F – Rory: $585
Apt 2B – Josh: $660 (owes $20)
Total Received: $3,425
Mortgage: $882
Property Expenses: $10.52
National Grid: $202.73 [2017: $179.96]
Application Fees: $40
Water Bill: $154.44 [2017: $180.76]
Total Profit: $2,215.31 [2017: -$1,873.81]
Maria and Danny were a decent find. For landlord verification I spoke to their landlord. Seeing that he had a Muslim last name, I put on my immigrant accent and told him I was from Egypt. Sounds silly, I know, but Muslim people are usually pretty honest with one of their own. He told me they were good people, with Danny working at a family-owned lumber business and Maria currently looking for a job. The recommendation was good enough and the job checked out, so they became my new tenants.
Two weeks after the new tenants moved in, Josh let me know that he had to move out. Near the beginning of June, he found out that his fiance and mother of his two kids had "unexpectedly passed". That term was what was reported online, but it seems more like she killed herself. Either way, Josh let me know that he had to move out. His kid no longer want to stay in Smalltown so they're moving back to Wisconsin. While this was a horrible situation for Josh, this just might work out for me. Josh was smoking weed in the apartment which is a no-no and his dog was very annoying. The best part of this situation is that I can rent his apartment out for $50 more now that I proved it can go for $700 thanks to Maria and Danny.
Rory is now solely responsible for mowing the lawn, so I permanently took $15 off his rent. It really didn't make sense to pay the lawn mowing company $15 for one cut a month when he can do it every week for the same price.
Property 4
Tenant Latisha: $900
Mortgage: $608
Property Expenses: $0
Water Bill: $53.71 [2017: $45.81]
Total Profit: $238.29 [2017: $773.56]
One of the things I hate most about being a security guard is when someone who I know sees me doing my job. I’m always ashamed to be a security guard, but it gets worse when someone who knows me as their landlord sees me walking around in my dirty ass security looking like garbage. Even on the weekend, Latisha came in with her little son to do something in the bank. That greasy-faced little bastard was giving me dirty looks and I swear I wanted to slap the both of them. I like Latisha as a tenant, but I gotta figure out how to avoid her at my job for the rest of the year. More run-ins with them might make me quit early.
Property 5
Apt 1 – Ras: $0 (MOVED OUT)
Apt 2 – Rich: $400
Apt 3 – Destiny: $525
Apt 4 – Tom: $0
Total Rents Received: $925
Mortgage: $1,048
Property Expenses: $3,057.49 (Electric Panel Replacement + Driveway Repair + Scanned Documents)
Water Bill: $191.10
Total Profit: -$3,371.10
Tom, Tom, Tom. Boy how I love stupid people. Tom decided not to pay rent and not respond to my text messages. This created an awesome opportunity for me. Remember, Tom legally has rights to the apartment until February of 2019. So, had he continued paying his rent on time, I wouldn't be able to throw him out. But now that he's decided not to pay, I can file for a non-payment eviction and have him out in August. With everyone except Rich moving out in August, I can get started on renovations in September which is right on schedule. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing going right at Property 5.
Thanks to the insurance company I had to spend over $3,000 to get the place insurable, with $2,700 just to replace the electric panels that were working fine in the first damned place. I mean, I haven't even started with the interior repairs and I'm already three grand in the hole! But the work has been done and the place should be perfectly insurable. All that's left is a broken window pane, which I plan to fix once the real repairs begin in September.
Lawnmowing Services: $160
Net Real Estate Profit for July 2018: -$15.43 [2017: -$456.77]
I should be happy with this. Considering that I'll be in the negative for the majority of 2018's remaining months, a loss of $15.43 makes July a decent month.
Not much is going on in August as I wait for the tenants of Property 5 to get out. I should make a decent profit, but I doubt it'll be anything significant. Nevertheless, August should be a nice break from all the real estate stuff. After that will be three months of pure hell... which I'm strangely excited for.
Apt 1- Black Family: $700
Apt 2 – Consuela: $600
Total Rents Received: $1,300
Property Expenses: $210 ($120 Property Maintenance + $90 Lawn Care June and July)
Water Bill: $132.94 [2017: $136.85]
Total Profit for Anita: $957.06 [2017: $913.15]
Not much happened in July at Property X. Anita’s tax bill was due and was paid through June’s profits, along with $200 from her account and $500 she gave me as a “gift”. Considering how things ended when she left, I didn’t feel comfortable keeping the money she gave me. It’s like accepting money for pissing me off. I also got rid of anything else brought for me in that regard. Anyway, I know she wanted some stuff done like cutting down some bushes and replacing some windows, so I’ll get to that in August. She also plans on visiting again to move some of her storage materials into the Property X basement, but I’ll let her coordinate that with Alfonso. As one may guess, I prefer to stay away from her as much as possible.
Property 1
Apt 1 – Dharma and Family: $525
Apt 2 - Belle and Sebastian: $875
Total Rents Received: $1,400
Mortgage: $840
National Grid: $151.85 [2017: $112.68]
Property Expenses: $0
Water Bill: $94.14 [2017: $94.14]
Total Profit: $314.01 [2017: $253.34]
You know, I’ve always liked kids. But dealing with the Nepali family and them bringing kids over to run around over me has really made me despise children. Well, maybe not kids but definitely the parents of these little bastards. It seems like every month I debate throwing them out, and I usually end up letting it go. And why? They pay rent on time every month and, if it weren’t for me living underneath them, I’d love them as tenants. But I have to learn lessons from the past. Carver from Property 2 was a “good tenant” so I kept rent low, ironically at the same price of $525. That same apartment now goes for $750 with low turnover costs. I can probably get $750 for the Nepali apartment so, regardless of whether I’m in or out of the basement, I don’t see them staying once I raise the rent. The question, of course, is when?
Property 2
Apt 1 – NEW TENANT – Andy and Kia: $1,650
Apt 2 - Edward and Gabby: $750
Total Rents Received: $2,400
Mortgage: $754
Property Expenses: $864.74 (Chimney fix + Dump Fees + Renovation)
Water Bill: $93.20 [2017: $136.85]
Application Fees: $60
Total Profit: $748.06 [2017: $560.14]
The turnover of Nicholas’ apartment was wonderfully cheap, costing around $200. But there was an issue with the crumbling chimney where bricks were falling down into the driveway. This had been going on for years, as the old tenant Carver once had the chimney cap drop onto the top of his car and dent it. Not wanting a potential lawsuit, I decided to pay Alfonso $600 to fix the chimney. Finding a tenant wasn’t difficult at all, as I received calls left and right for that place. But the first prospective tenants that walked through the door were Asians, Vietnamese to be exact. Andy and Kia are a boyfriend/girlfriend couple. Both are college graduates working on their post-graduate degrees. To be very honest, the second I saw they were Asian I wanted them. So I did my usual background check and quickly told them that they were approved. I also charged a pro-rated rent fee of $150 for moving in early. For whatever reason, I haven’t collected pro-rated rent as often as I could in the past. With tenants becoming my sole source of income starting next year, you can bet your ass that I’ll be gunning for every cent I’m legally owed. Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to having my first ever Asian tenants
While cutting and pulling weeds in the backyard, I realized how much I enjoy gardening. Not only was it relaxing, but it gave my legs a great workout. I plan on salting that whole area in August because the growth is just too much, but I think I'm gonna be doing more gardening when I retire from paycheck work next year. I mean, I gotta have something to do, and it would save me from paying the lawn mowing company... especially since they've become less and less reliable.
Property 3
Apt 1B – NEW TENANTS – Maria and Danny: $1,500
Apt 1F – Emily: $680 (rent is $670, extra $10 was for May’s dog fee)
Apt 2F – Rory: $585
Apt 2B – Josh: $660 (owes $20)
Total Received: $3,425
Mortgage: $882
Property Expenses: $10.52
National Grid: $202.73 [2017: $179.96]
Application Fees: $40
Water Bill: $154.44 [2017: $180.76]
Total Profit: $2,215.31 [2017: -$1,873.81]
Maria and Danny were a decent find. For landlord verification I spoke to their landlord. Seeing that he had a Muslim last name, I put on my immigrant accent and told him I was from Egypt. Sounds silly, I know, but Muslim people are usually pretty honest with one of their own. He told me they were good people, with Danny working at a family-owned lumber business and Maria currently looking for a job. The recommendation was good enough and the job checked out, so they became my new tenants.
Two weeks after the new tenants moved in, Josh let me know that he had to move out. Near the beginning of June, he found out that his fiance and mother of his two kids had "unexpectedly passed". That term was what was reported online, but it seems more like she killed herself. Either way, Josh let me know that he had to move out. His kid no longer want to stay in Smalltown so they're moving back to Wisconsin. While this was a horrible situation for Josh, this just might work out for me. Josh was smoking weed in the apartment which is a no-no and his dog was very annoying. The best part of this situation is that I can rent his apartment out for $50 more now that I proved it can go for $700 thanks to Maria and Danny.
Rory is now solely responsible for mowing the lawn, so I permanently took $15 off his rent. It really didn't make sense to pay the lawn mowing company $15 for one cut a month when he can do it every week for the same price.
Property 4
Tenant Latisha: $900
Mortgage: $608
Property Expenses: $0
Water Bill: $53.71 [2017: $45.81]
Total Profit: $238.29 [2017: $773.56]
One of the things I hate most about being a security guard is when someone who I know sees me doing my job. I’m always ashamed to be a security guard, but it gets worse when someone who knows me as their landlord sees me walking around in my dirty ass security looking like garbage. Even on the weekend, Latisha came in with her little son to do something in the bank. That greasy-faced little bastard was giving me dirty looks and I swear I wanted to slap the both of them. I like Latisha as a tenant, but I gotta figure out how to avoid her at my job for the rest of the year. More run-ins with them might make me quit early.
Property 5
Apt 1 – Ras: $0 (MOVED OUT)
Apt 2 – Rich: $400
Apt 3 – Destiny: $525
Apt 4 – Tom: $0
Total Rents Received: $925
Mortgage: $1,048
Property Expenses: $3,057.49 (Electric Panel Replacement + Driveway Repair + Scanned Documents)
Water Bill: $191.10
Total Profit: -$3,371.10
Tom, Tom, Tom. Boy how I love stupid people. Tom decided not to pay rent and not respond to my text messages. This created an awesome opportunity for me. Remember, Tom legally has rights to the apartment until February of 2019. So, had he continued paying his rent on time, I wouldn't be able to throw him out. But now that he's decided not to pay, I can file for a non-payment eviction and have him out in August. With everyone except Rich moving out in August, I can get started on renovations in September which is right on schedule. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing going right at Property 5.
![]() |
| Fixed the cement crumbling |
![]() |
| Aluminum wrap around the rotted window sill |
![]() |
| Installed 5 new electric panels |
Thanks to the insurance company I had to spend over $3,000 to get the place insurable, with $2,700 just to replace the electric panels that were working fine in the first damned place. I mean, I haven't even started with the interior repairs and I'm already three grand in the hole! But the work has been done and the place should be perfectly insurable. All that's left is a broken window pane, which I plan to fix once the real repairs begin in September.
Lawnmowing Services: $160
Net Real Estate Profit for July 2018: -$15.43 [2017: -$456.77]
I should be happy with this. Considering that I'll be in the negative for the majority of 2018's remaining months, a loss of $15.43 makes July a decent month.
Not much is going on in August as I wait for the tenants of Property 5 to get out. I should make a decent profit, but I doubt it'll be anything significant. Nevertheless, August should be a nice break from all the real estate stuff. After that will be three months of pure hell... which I'm strangely excited for.




No comments:
Post a Comment