Last week Thursday I had an idea. I've been trying to make the transition from living in a cave to living in an actual apartment, and it's been tough. The biggest problem I have is it's very difficult finding time to organize things and get a new system down for tracking my various ventures. At the bank job I have to do rounds in the garage. They give me a stupid security wand that I have to hit at different points, and it records those hits to make sure I'm doing my job. The wand usually messes up every couple of years but, if I break it intentionally, then I don't have to be at work at all. I could have all the time I need to get used to a more productive life at home. So, on Thursday morning, I broke the wand. And things haven't been the same ever since.
Don't ask how I broke it because I really don't know. My goal was to open it and mess with the wiring, but the wand just turns and turns with no way to open it. I even used pliers and a channel lock to no avail. But somehow the constant turning stopped it from working and things are much different. Every weekday I wake up and go to work by at least 7:00am. I get my security cellphone, walkie-talkie, and keys, and then leave the job a half hour later. By 7:30 I'm back in bed sleeping. If anyone needs to reach me I have the cellphone. I sleep until 11am, and then I do whatever I need to do until I have to go back to work and sign out. I file paperwork. I shred documents. I do my DDP Yoga. Whatever I don't have time to do thanks to working two full-time jobs I get done during that time. And it feels so damned good. It's like I'm living an actual life now, and getting a taste of what retirement will feel like. I'm not sure how long this will last, but each day I don't have to be at work is one that I can spend at home doing important stuff. And I won't take these blessed days for granted.
P.S.: It's taken a while to get used to writing blogs from home. I'm so used to writing in my cramped car or in the vacant building at the bank job. But I'm slowly getting used to it-- just another side effect of having more time at home. Lovely...
No comments:
Post a Comment