So… why? Hmm?
Why is Bob Rogers helping me? Is he just bored running his investment firm that he can pull away at any time to take care of my bullshit finances? Does he feel a level of superiority, knowing that a couple hours of his time can make put someone on the path to independence? Or is it less sinister? Does he simply get pleasure from helping people?
Bob Rogers looks like a fairly decent human being. He has pictures of his wife and kids and grandkids all over the place. His demeanor is extremely humble and soft spoken. He wears normal suits with no flash or flare. And he’s not the only one. There’s a guy who’s the head of a national law firm that has its headquarters in Smalltown. The guy made me the same offer a couple years ago, asking me to stop by his office to shoot the shit about my future. Is it me? Do they see a security guard and go, “Poor bastard. Let me help him out before he blows his brains out during one of his rounds and messes up my car.” I just… I can’t figure it out and it’s driving me crazy. The very existence of this questions challenges my long-held belief that there’s a string attached to every selfless gesture. People don’t just do things to help others. Good or bad, everyone has a motive. So what’s the motive for Bob Rogers?
I guess I’ll never know, but I really enjoy his style of consultation. He doesn’t beat around the bush. There’s very little small talk. It’s me telling him what I got, and him telling me what it looks like. I still remember that Chase incident that happened a few years ago, which I talked about on my old blog:
4/30/2013
“I remember a couple of years ago I went to Chase to ask a question. I was still confused about commercial property purchase rules and had a somewhat complicated question, I can’t really remember what it was. I think it was about blanket loans or something. Anyway, they sent me to this mortgage guy who, instead of answering my question, said something like:
“Oh, I don’t know, but that’s a really good question. I usually don’t handle questions like that, maybe you can find someone who specializes in commercial properties because we don’t do that here anymore (< I was okay with him up to this point). Most people that come in don’t ask questions like that, but you keep on going and doing business. You’re gonna be the next Donald Trump!”
I swear he said that Donald Trump line verbatim! Why would he say that?! I don’t need his fucking encouragement. It’s either you know or you don’t know, stop wasting my fucking time. And I ended up getting the correct information from a guy at Bank of America who had the same job title as the Chase guy, so obviously the Chase guy was a worthless mongrel. I swear, this is one of the minor reasons why it’s so hard to go from poor to rich. Along the way, you have to deal with dimwits like this who don’t know what they’re doing and try to mask it by being a friend instead of giving the needed information.”
People like the Chase mortgage guy are everywhere, and they can really bring you down by making it seem like there’s only so far you can go. When someone congratulates me or gives me credit for making it this far, it feels like they’re saying that I should stop and be happy with what I got. Keeping me at a certain level because they’re too incompetent to have the information… or too lazy to point me in the right direction that will get me to the next level. Bob Rogers doesn’t do that. There are no congratulations. No pats on the back. No building up of my already massive ego. It’s a simple information exchange, and I wish everyone in a position of financial authority was like that. The world would be a better place.
So... motives? I don’t know. But I don’t think I care. Whatever he gets out of this exchange is his business, and it shouldn’t concern me. I’m getting advice from someone who knows his shit. Better to take advantage of it while I can instead of asking pointless questions. People like Bob Rogers are a rare breed… especially in Smalltown.
Why is Bob Rogers helping me? Is he just bored running his investment firm that he can pull away at any time to take care of my bullshit finances? Does he feel a level of superiority, knowing that a couple hours of his time can make put someone on the path to independence? Or is it less sinister? Does he simply get pleasure from helping people?
Bob Rogers looks like a fairly decent human being. He has pictures of his wife and kids and grandkids all over the place. His demeanor is extremely humble and soft spoken. He wears normal suits with no flash or flare. And he’s not the only one. There’s a guy who’s the head of a national law firm that has its headquarters in Smalltown. The guy made me the same offer a couple years ago, asking me to stop by his office to shoot the shit about my future. Is it me? Do they see a security guard and go, “Poor bastard. Let me help him out before he blows his brains out during one of his rounds and messes up my car.” I just… I can’t figure it out and it’s driving me crazy. The very existence of this questions challenges my long-held belief that there’s a string attached to every selfless gesture. People don’t just do things to help others. Good or bad, everyone has a motive. So what’s the motive for Bob Rogers?
I guess I’ll never know, but I really enjoy his style of consultation. He doesn’t beat around the bush. There’s very little small talk. It’s me telling him what I got, and him telling me what it looks like. I still remember that Chase incident that happened a few years ago, which I talked about on my old blog:
4/30/2013
“I remember a couple of years ago I went to Chase to ask a question. I was still confused about commercial property purchase rules and had a somewhat complicated question, I can’t really remember what it was. I think it was about blanket loans or something. Anyway, they sent me to this mortgage guy who, instead of answering my question, said something like:
“Oh, I don’t know, but that’s a really good question. I usually don’t handle questions like that, maybe you can find someone who specializes in commercial properties because we don’t do that here anymore (< I was okay with him up to this point). Most people that come in don’t ask questions like that, but you keep on going and doing business. You’re gonna be the next Donald Trump!”
I swear he said that Donald Trump line verbatim! Why would he say that?! I don’t need his fucking encouragement. It’s either you know or you don’t know, stop wasting my fucking time. And I ended up getting the correct information from a guy at Bank of America who had the same job title as the Chase guy, so obviously the Chase guy was a worthless mongrel. I swear, this is one of the minor reasons why it’s so hard to go from poor to rich. Along the way, you have to deal with dimwits like this who don’t know what they’re doing and try to mask it by being a friend instead of giving the needed information.”
People like the Chase mortgage guy are everywhere, and they can really bring you down by making it seem like there’s only so far you can go. When someone congratulates me or gives me credit for making it this far, it feels like they’re saying that I should stop and be happy with what I got. Keeping me at a certain level because they’re too incompetent to have the information… or too lazy to point me in the right direction that will get me to the next level. Bob Rogers doesn’t do that. There are no congratulations. No pats on the back. No building up of my already massive ego. It’s a simple information exchange, and I wish everyone in a position of financial authority was like that. The world would be a better place.
So... motives? I don’t know. But I don’t think I care. Whatever he gets out of this exchange is his business, and it shouldn’t concern me. I’m getting advice from someone who knows his shit. Better to take advantage of it while I can instead of asking pointless questions. People like Bob Rogers are a rare breed… especially in Smalltown.
No comments:
Post a Comment