Monday, April 11, 2016

How I Learn

Two Mondays ago I worked at the shipping depot. It was cold and rainy, yet I couldn’t help but smile for eight straight hours. Once it hit midnight, I got in my car and drove away. Once on the highway, I let out a huge scream. It was the last weekday I would ever have to work at the depot. That means no more package handlers, managers, or co-workers EVER! That felt good. I also started my month-long vacation from the depot last weekend, and that felt even better.

So what do I plan to do for the next four weekends? Sleep late, play video games, and drive out to different places that I couldn’t before? Sure. But the most important thing is to get obsessed with stocks. To fully understand what I’ll be doing, I need to describe how I learn. It might be confusing, so I'll take my time to explain this correctly.

If I’m not obsessed with a subject, I’ll never put full effort into it. A perfect example was the time I learned Yoruba. I could have easily been fluent in Yoruba by now had I been obsessed with it. Instead I stopped at Chapter 6 of the learning book, made a bunch of excuses, and now I’m learning it half-assed now. In other words, I carry the book with me everywhere but never open it. And what about DDP Yoga? Even with the amazing results, I used a tweak in my back as an excuse to stop before I could finish the Beginner section. Another example? Okay. I’ll pick one that’ll hurt: real estate. Yes, I moved all the way from Brooklyn to Smalltown to start buying real estate. But that wasn’t obsession, but rather me throwing myself into a new situation. It's something I do on a regular basis: organized wrecklessness. It wasn’t until recently that I became obsessed with real estate, and now I’m about a year away from retirement. If I had this fire burning in me when I first arrived in Smalltown, I would have been retired by 2010. Fact.

While I enjoy trading stocks (or “trading tickers” as Nathan Michaud would say), I’m not obsessed with it yet. I don’t wake up in the morning and think about the stock market. I don’t do workouts with stock market data flowing through my brain. It’s not what I breathe or what I think about when I go to sleep. I haven’t written the post detailing this just yet, but the stock market is going to be a HUGE part of my retirement plan. If I go into the market half-assed, I will be screwed in every way possible. The experience I’ve gained from two years of simulation and real-time trading has taught me some. Combining that experience with what I’m learning from the Michaud DVD has given me an insight as to how my future is gonna look like if I become obsessed. Proof? Okay, let’s take a look at some March sim trades I made when applying knowledge from the DVD:

March 8th - 9th: $2,212 profit with TSLA
March 10th: $573 profit with CMG
March 11th: $576 profit with FB
March 14th: $300 profit with TSLA
March 18th - April 1st: $1,974 profit with NFLX

$5,635 in 25 days. And this is when I’m NOT obsessed. Is it becoming clear now?

A Native American fetish vessel (undated), one of the many exhibits seen at last Saturday morning's visit to the museum

That face at the end of the handle looks so cool

My first weekend at home (4/9 - 4/10) was unproductive. I went to a local museum for a magnificent Native American exhibit. I drove around Smalltown, finally enjoying the freedom of an entire weekend to myself with no worthless truck drivers getting on my nerves. I barely did any studying, but I knew that would happen. This, after all, is a gradual process. Now I have to start watching the DVD over and over again. The DVD has to be playing when I eat, when I sleep, when I’m cooking, even when I’m jerking off. It doesn’t matter if I’m paying attention or not, the DVD has to be playing at all times. As I make this a habit, the words of the DVD will be dancing around in my head as I continue my daily sim trades. Somewhere down the line, those words will begin to correlate with my trading decisions, and THAT’S when I win.

It’s automatic, like…hmm. You know that action movie Limitless? It's not terribly made but much of it is based on bullshit, like that “people use 10% of their brain” line. However, one theme in that movie is true. The brain sops up information and stores it. Normal people are able to find, access, and then apply that info for its purpose. Smart people can do this faster. But, as I've said many times before, I’m neither normal or smart. Instead of me being able to find that information, I let my sub-consciousness find it for me and apply it to actions I’m already taking. The more I play the DVD, the easier it is for my brain to find the necessary information when needed, because I'm constantly flooding it with the same info over and over again. It’s like being able to learn a language easier because I’m in the country where the language is spoken all around me, you know?

Now I know this looks like a lot of work, but I’m simply re-shaping my environment. Entertainment is trading. Sex is trading. Sleep is trading. Taking a shit is trading. Waking up is trading. Working out is trading. Hell, even real estate becomes trading. This, my dear blog, is how I learn. It’s really the only way I can understand a subject inside and out.

The next few weeks will be tough, as this transition is not easy at all. I haven't done this type of learning since high school, and my brain is obviously not in the same condition as it once was. But being away from the shipping depot for the month of April will definitely help. By the time I have to go back to the depot in May (weekends only), I should be at the point where most of my time is taken up by stocks. Trades will come easier to me. My brain will connect the words I've heard with the actions I take and, by the end of the year, I should be ready to trade full-time.

You know, the top of this blog page says, "I win at everything I do... even with an 86 IQ." One might think this is some kind of mantra, or something cute because it rhymes. It's simply the truth. Even though I'm not the brightest, I can still do whatever I feel like and be a success. I've proven this over and over again. All I have to do is carefully learn my craft, and this is how I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment