Friday, April 22, 2016

West Wing-ed

On my last Sunday working at the shipping depot, I finished watching The West Wing. Usually I hate reading or watching anything that has to do with politics, but the series really got me into the whole electoral process. It made me want to understand how laws get made and why governments act the way they do. And I have to admit that watching The West Wing during an election year made it even more enjoyable.

The elections this year have had so many interesting twists and turns. Usually, the headlines would get on my nerves and wonder why the fuck these supposed intelligent people say the dumbest stuff. But, after getting a small taste of a quasi-fictional White House and the wars between the Democrats and Republicans, I can see the underlying reasons for every single word. For me, I could care less who wins… as long as it’s not Trump. His policies would negatively affect just about everything, and that would suck since I’ll be trading full-time next year with no jobs to back me up. Both the Democrats and Republicans have policies that cater to my profession as a landlord (dems want more welfare which means more qualified tenants, reps want lower taxes which means more money saved in my pocket). I’d love to vote for Sanders but I’m pretty sure he’s not going to make it, so unfortunately I’ll probably be voting for Hilary. If Kasich had a prayer, I would have voted for him. In a fantasy world where both Sanders and Kasich were the final two, I’d definitely go for Kasich.

I've come to realize that the most powerful language in the world is not English, Spanish, German, Chinese, and definitely not Yoruba. The most powerful language that everyone bows to is called politics. If one can speak with political prowess, that person can take over the world. I mean, look at those rallies. Look at how these seemingly normal people go crazy for a politician as if Axl Rose just started playing “Sweet Child Of Mine”. The politician just has to stand there, make them believe in what he/she says, and then watch as they’ll sacrifice their time and money just to help the campaign. I won’t lie, it’s inspiring to see power incarnate.

Recently, I started writing speeches in classic Sam Seaborne fashion on whatever topics came up in the various campaigns. The absurd Black Lives Matter movement, Gender Pay Equality, Gun Rights, Abortion, Campaign Financing, and others… 18 in all. I may post or quote some of them here if I end up writing about a corresponding topic because they’re all very good. I was impressed that I could still write up a good argument, but even more impressed by its political nature. If watching a well-written TV show could make me write political speeches for no reason, I wonder what else it could make me do…

The more I get into it, the more I realize just how important voting is, even here in Smalltown. The early African-Americans were right in that it was worth dying for then as it is now. Going to Nigeria and watching the young people engage in deep political discussion with their elders started this whole thing. West Wing gave me a fictionalized glimpse into the inner workings of politics. Combine all this with my love of studying world history, and politics might actually become a fun topic to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment