There
is no time of year I truly dread more than Thanksgiving week. Not
only am I forced to see family, but it also means twice the work at
the shipping depot.
Tomorrow
I'll be going home for Thanksgiving and, as one might expect, I'm not
looking forward to it. The long drive to Brooklyn and back, the lost
wages from not working the holiday, and to spend it pretending to be
a real family to people I don't know or care about. Ugh. That blasted
Anita keeps trying to set me up with her friend's daughter and I'm
really getting tired of the same bullshit every year. She did the
exact same thing in 2012 and I told her to stop, but I'm noticing a
pattern where she feels it's okay to ignore what I say because she's
my mom. I shouldn't even go, but my dad Alan is having Jollof rice
made. Plus, I'm gonna stop by Brooklyn Mike's house and get his
recipe for gravy. That will make my weekend rice taste so much
better, as I've had an awful time making gravy myself.
Last
week was also the beginning of peak season at the shipping depot.
More trucks, more package handlers, and more stress. And yet, for
some reason, I did fine. Whenever things got busy, my body held up
very well. The weekends are the worst because I have to do the job of
two people by myself for 12 straight hours. But I did it this weekend
with relative ease. And I think it might be because of the way I eat
food now. I no longer have food prepared for me by restaurants or
fast food joints. My body is the healthiest it's been in over a
decade, thanks to eating good foods I make at home. If this is the
first peak season that I'm eating homemade food consistently, could
this also be the first peak season where I don't have to complain
about everything? I remember last year's peak season was absolute
hell, as I had trouble keeping up with the faster pace and higher
volume of work. But maybe this year will be different.
So
I'm going to go through the horror of Thanksgiving primarily because
of my love for food. And I think I'll have a better time this peak
season thanks to my new direction in food choices and preparation.
Food is still a big part part of my life but, now that I'm gaining
control over what I eat, having food as a big part of my life is
becoming a good thing. Go fig...
No comments:
Post a Comment