Monday, November 10, 2014

Hits and Misses

DDP Yoga

No Workouts
While my back still feels a bit strange, I’m gonna start doing the Wake up exercises this week. Little by little, I have to get my body ready for next week, when I attempt to do Week 11’s workouts. I really miss doing the workouts, and I’d like to finish all the Beginner workouts this month. I only have Week 11 and 12 left, and then I can take the rest of the year off to rest up before I start the Intermediate workouts.


Ever since I stopped doing DDP Yoga due to my weird back issues, I’ve really been focusing on preparing different kinds of foods and trying new things. 

Vegetable Fried Rice with Nova Scotia salmon. This salmon tastes so damned good, and it needs no seasoning whatsoever. The fried rice was made with white rice, and I'm starting to get away from Basmati rice and just stick with regular white rice and Uncle Ben's brown rice. Definitely a hit.

In July I bought this Kalorik Air Fryer for $99 at BJ's, as the idea of fring food without oil was intriguing to me. Even so, it took 3 months to finally try it out.

I seasoned my chicken like I always do, and then put it in the Air Fryer...

20 minutes later, and I had juuuuuicy chicken! I mixed it in with rice, but I could have just as easily made a chicken wrap or burrito with it. Another hit.

Turkey burgers and French fries. I used the air fryer for the french fries and it came out great. Golden brown and crispy. Yet another hit.
Basmati brown rice with Nova Scotia salmon and a piece of chicken fried in the air fryer. The rice was particularly good, and I'm starting to use more olive oil and added eggs along with the usual vegetables.

My first attempt at gravy. I used tomato paste, sodium-free chicken bouillon, and a bunch of other stuff. It tasted awful, as the sodium free bouillon has almost no taste. I was stuck eating rice with what tasted like spaghetti sauce, and it almost completely ruined last weekend (11/1 and 11/2). I'll try it again this week, but this time with regular Knorr chicken bouillon and my newly bought crock pot.

 

This week, I’m gonna try to finally make a good gravy. I have all the ingredients and a very simple recipe from Brooklyn Mike, so that should come out well. I also wanna perfect my Chicken Fried Rice. Last weekend (11/8 and 11/9) I made the closest thing to perfection, as I had the chopped onions and eggs and everything. But it was still missing something, and I think it's because I'm using LITE soy sauce instead of regular. I need to try it again with regular soy sauce and get it right. I want it to taste exactly like it does in the restaurants. If I ever get the urge to eat something that’s not very healthy, I would like to know that I can make it myself with fresh ingredients and fresh olive oil. 

Hey… you know what the crazy thing about all this is? Even with the burgers, the chicken, the fried rice, and the french fries, I’m still in excellent shape with no weight gain at all. I can experiment all I want with foods and not have to worry about gaining weight or getting out of shape. And it’s all because I’m cooking it myself. I love it…

P.S.: Today I finally finished the Lucky Charms that I stupidly bought almost a month ago in a moment of weakness. It tasted okay, but too much of it made my stomach hurt and gave me hemorrhoids. I hope I never do that again, and it's good to get back to my Multi-Grain Cheerios...

2 comments:

  1. Ok. I have been considering buying this for the past year: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIFCHSO/
    It looks like it will do about the same thing as the one you have, but the cooking area is glass (that is important to me). Maybe I should get around to ordering it......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thing looks good, but I would stick with the Kalorik. What's your beef with glass, anyway? I wouldn't want the glass just because it looks stupid, but I get the feeling that you have health concerns about the glass...

      Delete