It's
been exactly one week since Mallory moved out of Property X, and I'm
still not any closer to finding a suitable tenant. With each
prospective tenant that wants the place, there's either an issue with
their employment, landlord verification, or simply the bad
vibes I get from them. The closest thing I have to a tenant so far is
a guy who works in construction, but he currently gets paid under the
table. Ugh.
One
of the only bright spots for this rent-out has been the $10
application fee that I started emphasizing. I charge a $10 fee to
check out their application and make the calls to their employers and
former landlords and etc. I really enjoy getting money for doing
this, as it's truly a pain in the ass to meet with these mongrels and
do the whole background check. But sometimes I feel weird taking
money from people who I know I'm not going to rent to, so I've
decided to come up with a few rules:
Do Not Take Money from Single Women
I
currently have a ban on all single women, as it hasn't worked out in
my entire 8 years as a landlord. When a single woman comes in and
wants to rent the place out, I'd feel like a creep taking their money
when I know I won't rent to them. One lady came in and I liked
her. She'd been working at her job for 11 months and was really
excited to get a place of her own. She was living in a domestic
violence shelter and is waiting to get an apartment. After she told
me this, I knew I couldn't take her money. I told her that there was
no application fee and took her application. Even though I had to
call her to say that she didn't get the place, it felt good knowing I
didn't take her money.
Welfare
and Assistance Animals are Fair Game
When
a prospective tenant comes in with their SSI bullshit or acts ghetto,
I will absolutely take their money even if I know I'm not going to
rent to them. It really pisses me off that these guys make money off
the taxes I pay to the county, so I see it as getting some of my
money back. I see these jackasses on my way to work hanging around chillin', and it's almost
as if they're sending me to work to pay for their existence. Few
things make my blood boil more than this, so I see no moral issue
with taking their money. A woman came in on Monday and had awful
teeth. She smelled as if she'd just had sex, did the whole “I could
give you the security deposit right now” line, and had the nerve to
use the apartment's bathroom before she left. Even her application smelled funny.
I'm supposed to see her today to get the app fee, and one can bet
that I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to being paid for dealing with
her nasty ass.
Because
the app fee is new to me, I'll be coming up with more rules and
updating this post from time to time. I'd really like to have a
system down where I have rules and regulations for taking $10 to do a
background check that costs me nothing. As the Rent Out Guide has
proven, having a system down is everything.
P.S.:
For a brief moment, I pondered staying in the apartment myself while
continuing to show the place. If I get an application fee from 50
people a month, that's enough to cover the rent! But that momentary
thought was dashed when I realized two things. The first is that I
honestly hate talking to people, so I know I won't be able to handle
seeing 50 prospective tenants a month. The second is that I really hate Property X's
neighborhood, so I'd never live there.
Update 3/17/2015: It turns out that everyone has to pay application fees. If I choose to charge one and not the other, I can get into trouble for discrimination. Oh well. Guess I'm being forced to make more money! ;-)
Update 3/17/2015: It turns out that everyone has to pay application fees. If I choose to charge one and not the other, I can get into trouble for discrimination. Oh well. Guess I'm being forced to make more money! ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment