Friday, October 2, 2015

Successor to the Throne

My living will is almost complete. The main issues with a living will are the contingencies. I basically have to foresee every bad situation and come up with an appropriate alternative from beyond the grave.

The first thing was deciding who’s gonna be in charge of it. When I was a kid, that answer was easy. Anything that I needed done I knew my mom and dad would be efficient enough to get things done. But the passage of time has changed everything. Alan is blind and can barely take care of himself. Anita is no longer reliable, and the way she acts makes her untrustworthy. When she threatened to beat up that lady taking care of Alan, I knew that she had gone off her rocker. My sister Ana is… ugh. And my brother Alex is too far away. And even if he lived close by, I can't trust his decision making. He still believes that 42-year-old Ana will become our responsibility when our parents are dead, and may use some of my hard earned money to support Ana's destructive lifestyle. I can never let that happen. So that leaves only Brooklyn Mike and Nino as options to take over.

Brooklyn Mike is one of the kindest and loyal people that I know. But he has absolutely no ambition. None. I can’t trust the running of my business interests in the hands of a 35-year-old man who can’t move out of the family home to live on his own, even with a full time job and almost no expenses. Their house will be going into foreclosure soon, so everyone has to find a place to stay. Mike is letting his big brother find a place for him instead of finding one on his own. It really bothers me that he doesn’t take the initiative for even the simplest things to take control of his life. And he's also way too kind to be a landlord. So that leaves one guy: Nino.

After being thrown out of his mom’s house, Nino slept in his car for months while he saved enough money to buy his own place. He ate at a temple and showered at his gym. After 4 months of living like this, he decided to get a second job so he could afford to rent a room while he waits to close on his very first apartment. Yesterday at 5:55pm, Nino closed on his co-op apartment and is now living on his own for the first time. He continues to do simulation stock trades like myself, and has several ideas for making extra income. Very good stuff. It’s this type of ambition that makes choosing Nino the easy choice, if not the only choice. To hand someone a portfolio that will yield 100K annually, it can’t go to someone who will just take the money and not manage it. It would fall apart, and all that hard work would have been for nothing. And I'd rather blow up all the properties than to leave it to the state. That would really be a shame.

Real estate. Stocks. Other business ventures. It’s gonna be a solid portfolio that, if correctly managed, can last forever. I’ll cover the details of the will in another post, as there’s so much more than just choosing the point man. But it’s a damned good start.  

P.S.: My only issue with him is his choice in women. He likes to date controlling women like his mom, and that can be a problem. His current girlfriend, Ria, is 43 years old (he's 30) and has a ton of emotional problems. What if Ria starts making decisions that will hurt long-term profits? Will Nino be man enough to stand his ground and do the right thing? I’ll have to find that out for myself before making anything official. If not him, then I'll be forced to make it work with Brooklyn Mike. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment