Thursday, March 2, 2017

February 2017's Dinner with Damon

I don’t write about my Dinners with Damon as much because we don’t get together as often. And when we do, it’s usually the same shit with nothing new to add. February’s dinner was different.

I got some food from the Chinese buffet, then sat down to eat. As I’m stuffing my face with fried rice, chicken wings, and buttered potatoes, some creepy old guy sits next to me. I turn my head and it’s my old HVAC guy, Gonzalez. He was having dinner with his wife and their grandson. We got to the obvious subject of why we haven’t talked in almost two years, and I told him that I lost his number. That lie was actually a coincidence because he changed his number around that same time, so he gave both me and Damon his new number. He went back to his family, and Damon asked whether Gonzalez does good work. Hmm...

I had stopped talking to Gonzalez in December of 2014, mostly because his prices were getting high and I had found new HVAC guys that were cheaper. Now that I know those guys are losers, I won’t mind using Gonzalez again. He may have charged more but he actually did the fucking work. The other reason I stopped messing with him was that he and Sam had a falling out. Sam needed his services at one of his properties but Gonzalez, still upset that Sam chose another HVAC guy for a big job YEARS AGO, joked that maybe he should call those HVAC guys instead of him. I found that very immature so I was happy to stop using him. About a year later, when Sam’s cousin needed an HVAC guy, Sam referred him to Gonzalez. Why on Earth would Sam throw business to a guy who offended him so much that he stopped using the guy?? None of it made sense, so I figure if Sam can get over it, then so can I.

After Gonzalez, Damon and I talked about bedbugs. One of his apartments was infested with them and I asked how he got rid of them. He said that he followed the advice of an older lady who told him of a cheap way to get rid of bedbugs. This is cool:

Put jalapeno peppers on a cooking tray.
Coat it with cooking oil
Put it in the oven and have it heated for about an hour.
Turn off the oven, open the door (cover your eyes), and then leave for the day.

Damon came back the next day, and the bedbugs were no more! Apparently, the spice of the jalapeno peppers get carried in the smoke that comes off it when cooked, and bedbugs will actually die from the spices. Since the apartment was a small one-bedroom, the jalapeno pepper smoke was able to travel into every room from one cooking tray of peppers. For larger apartments, Damon said to use two trays, and then put them in different areas so that the smoke can cover everything. Once it’s done, he had to clean the pepper residue off the walls. But I’d rather clean pepper residue than pay thousands of dollars to get rid of the little bastards. I have to admit, I thought that was pretty awesome. From now on, I need to pay attention to natural remedies for property maintenance issues like these. It saves money and allows me to rely less on needless chemicals that can end up causing more harm than good.

All in all, it was a good dinner. I reconnected with Gonzalez and learned about a cheap natural solution for an expensive problem. We were gonna end the dinner there, but then Damon mentioned something that took the dinner into a completely different stratosphere…

No comments:

Post a Comment