Thursday, March 2, 2017

Renting Out Property 2's Upstairs Unit

With the apartment finally finished, the next step was to get it rented out. While I was proud of the work put into the place, I wasn’t very confident that I could get it rented before the end of March. These are the people that came in, and I’ll stick mostly to those who paid the $20 application fee:

Prospective #1:

    A couple with two kids. They looked around and seemed to like the place. The woman was asking me a few questions about the apartment and when the bathroom will be finished. As she filled out the application her fiancé asked me a question. You know what his black ass asked me? He asked, “Hey, do you know where the nearest basketball court is?” A man with no fucking job and 2 kids and a wife working at Walmart is asking about a fucking basketball court. Along with them not making enough to afford the place, that guy really pissed me off. So I was more than happy to refuse their application.

Prospective #2:

    Another couple with one kid. I actually liked these guys, and their 2 year old was adorable. My big issue with them was that they lived in a bad area. I could excuse the fact that they barely made enough to afford the place, but I just can’t bring that neighborhood to a prestigious area like Property 2. I decided to keep them around as a last resort, but not to be taken seriously.

Prospective #3:

    A young couple with a roommate. The girl had a decent job, making around $34,000 a year. The guy was a package handler who didn’t make much, but he’s is school to get his HVAC license. I liked these guys as well, but I had two issues with them. The first was that they're eventually moving to North Carolina, so their tenancy would have lasted a year or two at the most. The greater issue was the parking situation. Both of them had separate cars, and the roommate moving with them also had a car. That’s three cars in that small parking area, and then add Gianna’s car. That’s a lot of congestion on an already busy street. But with no other viable tenants coming, this was my best chance at getting decent people who can afford the place.

Prospective #4:

    I didn’t think I could do much better than the #3 people, especially with only 3 days to go before the end of the month. So I didn’t expect much from these guys. The couple came in and I was surprised. I mean, they were nice and… they reminded me so much of Belle and Sebastian from Property 1. They both worked decent jobs, but wouldn’t have been able to afford the place on their own. They liked the place and filled out the application. So I had a decision to make.


#3 made more money, but they were short term prospects with three cars to deal with. #4 didn’t make as much, but they were long term tenants and only had one car. I especially liked that wholesome naive Midwest quality they exuded. For a landlord like me, I need someone with a little bit of naivety so that they’ll cave easily when threatened. Sounds devious, but one would be surprised at how many people don’t give a flying shit when threatened with eviction. Nicholas was an idiot, but he always sprung to action once the word "eviction" was spoken. Both prospective tenants didn’t have landlord references so that canceled out. Based on everything, I decided to go with #4, my new tenants Edward and Gabby.

I uncharacteristically signed them to a one-year lease when I usually do month to month, but I locked them in for a reason. If they get into anything with Gianna, I want time to throw Gianna out on a 30-day notice while keeping Ed and Gabby there. They're the kind of tenants one can build around. Gianna? Not so much.

P.S.: I seriously considered disqualifying both of them for not having landlord references (lived with parents). But I decided to focus on other aspects of qualification. I hope that doesn't come to bite me in the ass later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment