So I finally got into contact with a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who does business with a guy we’ll call Emil. Emil is the senior vice president of a bank, and I was very happy when he responded to my email. I filled out his bank's application and he called me a week later. I told him that I’m looking to buy a property early next year, and he asked that I contact him once I'm ready. So I guess that's one connection I've made, but I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed.
The whole purpose of me reaching out to the Small Business Administration (or whatever administration I was sent to) was to get a mentor. Not a guy like Bob Rogers who, even though his advice was sound and free, had no experience in real estate. I wanted someone who has already gone through the real estate trials and succeeded to look at my portfolio and say, "Okay, if I were in your position, I would do Move #1. Move #1 would lead to Move #2, and that would allow you to get to the next level." That's all. But after 11 years of experience, I know stuff like that doesn't happen so easily… especially for a guy like me. As I’ve painfully demonstrated several times on this blog, I am not good with making connections with people. Ever since I started doing business in Smalltown, I’ve been trying to get better because I know how important it is to make connections in the real estate business.
I was able to get Property 1, thanks in large part to Sam’s wife Sonya who helped me with the paperwork while she was an underwriter at bank. Let’s even forget Sam, because I have a better example of a connection. Damon was a package handler at the Fedex where I worked as a worthless security guard. He heard that I was in the real estate business, so he believed we should start talking and bouncing ideas off each other. Through our dinners, I learned a lot about what I was doing right and wrong in both tenant and property management. And he was the one who told me about the business LOC that his second job (First Niagara Bank) was offering, and it was easy to get because they were about to be taken over by KeyBank. Once they were taken over, my super-low interest rate was grandfathered in and, eventually, was able to increase it to $25,000, plus get a $15,000 business credit card. It all started with making one business connection with Damon.
While I’ve given up on finding the perfect mentor, I don’t want to wait until I find a property to contact Emil. I want to build a relationship like I did with Damon. I got $40,000 due to a business connection with a fucking package handler. Imagine what benefits I could get from a relationship with the senior vice-president of a bank…
P.S.: I have to write a post soon on how to actually cultivate a business relationship. I'm not very good at it, so I could use a guide. My dream connection would be with a broad who works at a bank, like Sam did. Easy mortgage approvals and sex for all... a beautiful thing.
The whole purpose of me reaching out to the Small Business Administration (or whatever administration I was sent to) was to get a mentor. Not a guy like Bob Rogers who, even though his advice was sound and free, had no experience in real estate. I wanted someone who has already gone through the real estate trials and succeeded to look at my portfolio and say, "Okay, if I were in your position, I would do Move #1. Move #1 would lead to Move #2, and that would allow you to get to the next level." That's all. But after 11 years of experience, I know stuff like that doesn't happen so easily… especially for a guy like me. As I’ve painfully demonstrated several times on this blog, I am not good with making connections with people. Ever since I started doing business in Smalltown, I’ve been trying to get better because I know how important it is to make connections in the real estate business.
I was able to get Property 1, thanks in large part to Sam’s wife Sonya who helped me with the paperwork while she was an underwriter at bank. Let’s even forget Sam, because I have a better example of a connection. Damon was a package handler at the Fedex where I worked as a worthless security guard. He heard that I was in the real estate business, so he believed we should start talking and bouncing ideas off each other. Through our dinners, I learned a lot about what I was doing right and wrong in both tenant and property management. And he was the one who told me about the business LOC that his second job (First Niagara Bank) was offering, and it was easy to get because they were about to be taken over by KeyBank. Once they were taken over, my super-low interest rate was grandfathered in and, eventually, was able to increase it to $25,000, plus get a $15,000 business credit card. It all started with making one business connection with Damon.
While I’ve given up on finding the perfect mentor, I don’t want to wait until I find a property to contact Emil. I want to build a relationship like I did with Damon. I got $40,000 due to a business connection with a fucking package handler. Imagine what benefits I could get from a relationship with the senior vice-president of a bank…
P.S.: I have to write a post soon on how to actually cultivate a business relationship. I'm not very good at it, so I could use a guide. My dream connection would be with a broad who works at a bank, like Sam did. Easy mortgage approvals and sex for all... a beautiful thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment