Wednesday, December 31, 2014

December 2014 Property/Tenant Update




I love this place. I get to stay in the basement and remain hassle-free with relatively no repairs that need doing. I was challenged to see whether it was worth raising the rent of my Nepalese tenants by $25 and risk losing them. As I wrote in an earlier post, they were the only tenants that had an issue with the rent increase that begins in 2015. I was all set to raise their rent until Christmas happened. There I was, after working at the bank job for 8 hours, lying in bed and truly relaxing. The Nepalese tenants were playing video games and listening to Johnny Cash. One of them has been trying to learn how to play guitar and was playing along to “Ring of Fire”. There was the smell of delicious foods in the air and… it was just a great feeling for a basement dweller like myself. I started to wonder what my life would be like with new tenants. Even if they pay $75 more, will they be as easy to live with as the Nepalese? Will I like them as much? So I’ve decided not to raise their rent, and leave it at $525. Maybe when I have a second apartment to live I would risk raising their rents. But right now I like the atmosphere around my little man-cave, and I’d like it to stay this way. Having a comfortable home life was the whole reason why I spent almost $10,000 building a basement apartment, so why risk messing that up for $25 a month?


While Nicholas seems to be handling the rent increase without a problem, the same cannot be said for Christopher. In November, Christopher confessed that he had lost his job. Ugh. He was still able to pay November’s rent with the late fee, but it took a while before he finally found work and will now begin a massive 3 month payment plan of $200 a week. I’ve done payment plans with him before, but never one this long. I am a bit skeptical that he’ll be able to get it together, but if anyone can it’s Christopher. He’s been my tenant since 2009, and has endured a lot during his tenancy, including his girlfriend dying of cancer in the apartment. Through it all he has always found a way to pay me when he’s behind on rent, and he just started working at THREE jobs to catch up on his bills. Come on, even I have to respect that. So I agreed to the plan which starts next week, and we’ll see how things go.


Not much to update here. The same tenants doing the same stuff. Taniqua and Eugene were late with rent as usual, but this month they were extremely late (first payment on the 15th, second on the 27th). While I don’t mind the extra $35 a month in late fees, the routine is getting old. I’d rather get the rent on time than late with the late fee. But whatever. Despite their chronic lateness, they like living in that dingy apartment, so I’ll live with it until I build up enough money to pay for the renovation of this property. Should be about 3 years from now, so I’ve got a long way to go.


For once, I have some very good news about this piece of shit property that I’m forced to manage. Before that, I’ll bring up a quick conversation I had with Damon during our last dinner:

Damon (after hearing my gripes about the tenants at Property X): Wow, so you have to wait until the end of May to finally throw that autistic bitch out?

Me: Yeah.

Damon: Hey, why did you have her sign a one year lease? For that matter, why did you sign your new tenants to a 6 month lease when you’ve always talked about enjoying the freedom of month-to-month leases?

Me: I… I don’t know. I think it's because I want the tenancy to feel more established or something, you know what I mean? Like presenting a fixed-term lease seems more professional, you know?

Damon: That doesn’t make sense.

And Damon was right. Why was I so against having new tenants sign month-to-month leases? I have no reason not to! I even talked Damon into doing month-to-month leases at our first dinner. If I had done so with Tisha and my former tenant Mallory, it wouldn’t have taken so goddamned long to get them out. Okay, so here’s where the good news come in. Tee hee hee...

Tisha called me a couple weeks ago complaining that the new upstairs tenants, Tony and Ashlin, were having a party late into the night. Since it was on my way home from work after midnight, I decided to stop by just to check it out. They were indeed having a party that was just about over, so I took Tony downstairs and explained the situation. The neighborhood finally has a chance of being good now that the bar is closed down/ the property management company is part of a neighborhood watch/ you know, the usual. The next day Tisha calls me again to say that the tenants were trying to break into the basement and she doesn’t feel safe and yadda yadda yadda (power was out upstairs and they didn’t know how to get into the basement). I let her ramble as I watched cartoons until she said something that made my heart smile:

Tisha: I don’t feel safe anymore here and I need to break this lease so I can leave. I don’t care if I’m signed on for a year, I will call a lawyer and find out how I can get out of this lease…

Me (trying to hide my excitement): If you fear for your safety then I have no problems changing your lease from a one year lease to month-to-month. I’ll do the same thing for you like I did for Mallory when she had the same fear after being maced in the face (by Tisha’s son).

That Monday I quickly went over to give her a paper to sign stating that she’s now a month to month tenant. I didn’t want to seem too eager, so I told her she could mail it to me. Once I got it, I was… man! I wanted to frame that piece of paper like it was a diploma! On the 29th I sent her a 30 day notice via certified mail, which means that she’ll be out before the end of JANUARY! Oh how sweet it is! Without this fortunate series of events, I would have had to deal with this monstrosity until May of 2015! I don’t think I would have made it. As an added bonus, I convinced Ashlin to change her lease from 6 months to month-to-month due to the party that night. Lovely!

So now I just have to sit back and wait. Tisha called me about an hour ago complaining that I gave the upstairs tenant a key to the basement to check in case their power goes out. She started rambling on and on, saying that I tricked her into signing a month-to-month lease and started bringing up issues with Mallory and she’s gonna call code enforcement about this and that and… ugh, I just had it. I found myself raising my voice to her and realized that I let her get to me again. So I got off the phone with her and will not take her calls anymore. I will keep the lines of communication open with texts, but no more talking. Even with her short tenancy, I can easily say that Tisha and her son are the worst tenants I’ve ever had. They’re scum and true wastes of life. But in one month, neither of them will be my problem.

Tony and Ashlin have expressed their desire to move into the downstairs apartment once Tisha leaves, but I’m not sure I wanna do that right now. They’re just starting new jobs, had that party, and I caught them screening my calls a few weeks ago when I called from a different number. Not good signs. Thankfully, if they have problems with the new tenants then I’ll throw them out on their month-to-month asses just like Tisha. But right now all options are open and, with Tisha leaving, 2015 may finally be a good year for Property X.

No comments:

Post a Comment