When I first started this stock trading venture, I didn’t know which stocks to choose from. Nino told me that I should
stick to things that I know. So I picked most of my stocks based on the things
surrounding me.
I picked Time Warner Cable because my
home internet is provided by them. I chose Fedex and UPS because of the
shipping depot job. I picked WWE stock because I still watched wrestling. I had
Electronic Arts and Take-Two Interactive because I always loved video games. I
picked Sirius because I still love Howard Stern (though not as much). I have
General Motors because I own the Jeep Cherokee. I had Wells Fargo because it
holds the mortgage on Property 2 and Chase because I do most of my banking
through them. And yet, of all the stock I track, I only make real money with
the airline stocks. And, to be honest, I don’t care enough about these things
like I once did. I like the old school video games like Super Mario and old
D&D games that they don’t make anymore. I listen to Howard through Youtube,
and even then it’s only once in a long while. Just because I like the product
doesn’t mean I’ll like the stock.
Take Apple for example. I have no Apple
products. I don’t even like Apple products. But they’re on my watchlist because
I like their stock’s pattern. I barely ever fly anywhere, yet I made most of my
money with airline stocks. Just recently I happened upon Groupon’s stock. I
didn’t know what Groupon was or why they exist, but their stock pattern was
extremely sexy and I quickly put them on my watchlist. I found their sweet spot
and now I can just sit back and wait.
WWE was the only anomaly, where I liked
both their stock and their product. But, after watching Wrestlemania 31 and a
couple Monday Night Raws this year, I can honestly say that I have no faith in
their product. It’s so boring and I couldn’t get through the shows without fast
forwarding. Once their stock tanked, their pattern (which was weak to begin
with) tanked with it. It’s currently off my watchlist, but I do check the stock
from time to time.
I guess for some people it’s good to
trade what you know. But for me, I pick stocks based on patterns I like. So I’m
gonna do a list of my current watchlist, and any stock I see that I have no
reason for, it’ll probably be off by the end of May. Doing this will also
remind me of what stocks I should be paying more attention to.
Groupon (GRPN): Pattern
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): Pattern,
Susceptible to news and planned announcements
Starwood Hotels and Resorts World
(HOT): Pattern
Apple Inc (AAPL): Pattern
Twitter Inc (TWTR): No reason (had a
pattern, but ruined after terrible earnings
Facebook Inc (FB): Susceptible to news
and planned announcements
American Airlines Group Inc. (AAL):
Weakest pattern of all my airline stocks
Hawaiian Holdings (HA): Airline stock;
good pattern
Delta Airlines Inc (DAL): Airline
stock; strong pattern
Jetblue Airways (JBLU): Airline stock;
good pattern but quickly becoming unpredictable
Southwest Airlines (LUV): Airline
stock; strong pattern
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT): No reason
Pandora Media (P): No reason;
unreliable patterns
Sirius XM Holdings (SIRI): 2014 pattern
was good; 2015’s pattern not known yet
Ford Motor Company (F): Very weak
pattern; no reason
General Motors (GM): Same as Ford
Fedex Corporation (FDX): No reason;
pattern based on too many factors; may keep based on relation to UPS
United Parcel Service Inc (UPS): Decent
pattern
BP p.l.c (BP): Kept to signal Airline
buys
Seadrill Limited (SDRL): Same as BP
Solarcity Corporation (SCTY): Great
pattern in 2014; 2015 is still undetermined
Trina Solar Limited (TSL): No pattern;
too high to buy; no reason
Wells Fargo & Company (WFC): Decent
pattern
JP Morgan Chase & Co. (JPM): Decent
pattern
Blackberry Limited (BBRY): No reason
Comcast Corporation (CMCSA): Movie
stock
Walt Disney Company (DIS): Movie stock
Sony Corporation (SNE): Movie stock
Lions Gate Entertainment (LGF): Movie
stock
Dreamworks Animation SKG (DWA): Movie
stock
Target Corporation (TGT): Good 2014
pattern; 2015 undetermined
Best Buy Co. Inc. (BBY): Decent pattern
World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE):
Erratic pattern; company in transition with WWE Network; no faith in the
current product
It's important to note that the market can change a good pattern at any time, and then I have to decide whether to wait for the new pattern to develop or drop the stock altogether. Movie stocks are my new thing, and I’ll
be focused on them along with my usual airline stocks. Let’s see how it all goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment