Like the subject of food, I think I’m gonna do family updates on this blog as well... thought not nearly as frequent. Due to my distaste for family topics, I think it’s best to do one post every three months instead of random updates that give me massive headaches. So let’s get started…
Alan
My dad Alan seems to be recovering well at the rehab facility. He had two strokes in consecutive months, and the fact that he’s able to move around and talk regularly is a pretty good indicator of just how strong a person can be when Kor blood runs through their veins. He doesn’t talk as forcefully as he once did, which makes it very weird during our conversations. I’m not used to him being so soft spoken. Since there’s no phone in his room, I decided to drive down there a couple days ago and bought him a cellphone for us to talk. I want to get into the routine of calling him every day, as our conversations should be pretty short (2 to 3 minutes tops). If that what it takes to make his day a little better, I can do that. I'm not willing to do too much more than that, though.
Anita
I've been trying to call my mom Anita for a while now, but she hasn't picked up. Same goes for her job number. Not much else to say here... maybe she went to Nigeria or something.
Ana
My biggest surprise has come from my sister Ana. She called me a couple weeks ago to speak to Alan during one of her visits. She sounded… coherent. I was able to talk to her and she wasn’t complaining about anything. She was even talking to some of the church people that visit him, and wasn’t rude or anything. While not a clear indicator of progress, it is a glimmer of hope that Ana can get her life together. All she needs is a stable job and perhaps some time to live with Alan to save up money and resolve whatever issues she has with him. I don’t usually write good things about Ana, but it’s important to note that I don’t hate her. I don’t think I can truly hate anyone. My issues with Ana or anyone occur only when one’s irresponsibility forces me into action. I have no problem with anybody as long as they stay out of my way. I do a very good job of isolating myself and keeping my problems my own, and I feel it’s a sign of respect when someone handles their problems without burdening others. I started to wonder just how amazing it would be if she did get her life together. The entire dynamic of the Kor family would change. She would take her place as the head of family and be able to handle simple problems with Alan’s care. Meanwhile, I would finally be able to go back to being the screw-up of the family… a job that I’m much more suited for than she is.
Alex and Pamela
Alex seems to be in the final stages of retiring from his job to go full time options trading. He’s currently setting up his “just-in-case-I-screw-up” fund, which should be completed soon. His wife, Pamela, now works for a company that flips houses. I can’t begin to explain how much I love that. I love that she’s in real estate so that, when I retire, I have yet another way to invest and make extra money. Remember, my retirement plan simply gives me a basis that doesn’t rely on paycheck jobs. Post retirement, I will still invest into many different things. I can think of few better investments than those that include flipping properties with Alex and Pam. I’ve even started learning Mandarin through Rosetta Stone and a couple of language books I “borrowed” online. If they truly are the next generation of this family, I feel it shows a sign of respect to learn Pamela’s language as Alex has. There’s also another side of the Kor family (her family) that I’m now related to. Eventually we’re gonna meet (especially once they start having kids), and I don’t like the idea of them learning English and me not learning their language.
My first family update was relatively painless. I’d love to think that all of them will be as upbeat and pleasant, but I’m not that fucking stupid.
Alan
My dad Alan seems to be recovering well at the rehab facility. He had two strokes in consecutive months, and the fact that he’s able to move around and talk regularly is a pretty good indicator of just how strong a person can be when Kor blood runs through their veins. He doesn’t talk as forcefully as he once did, which makes it very weird during our conversations. I’m not used to him being so soft spoken. Since there’s no phone in his room, I decided to drive down there a couple days ago and bought him a cellphone for us to talk. I want to get into the routine of calling him every day, as our conversations should be pretty short (2 to 3 minutes tops). If that what it takes to make his day a little better, I can do that. I'm not willing to do too much more than that, though.
Anita
I've been trying to call my mom Anita for a while now, but she hasn't picked up. Same goes for her job number. Not much else to say here... maybe she went to Nigeria or something.
Ana
My biggest surprise has come from my sister Ana. She called me a couple weeks ago to speak to Alan during one of her visits. She sounded… coherent. I was able to talk to her and she wasn’t complaining about anything. She was even talking to some of the church people that visit him, and wasn’t rude or anything. While not a clear indicator of progress, it is a glimmer of hope that Ana can get her life together. All she needs is a stable job and perhaps some time to live with Alan to save up money and resolve whatever issues she has with him. I don’t usually write good things about Ana, but it’s important to note that I don’t hate her. I don’t think I can truly hate anyone. My issues with Ana or anyone occur only when one’s irresponsibility forces me into action. I have no problem with anybody as long as they stay out of my way. I do a very good job of isolating myself and keeping my problems my own, and I feel it’s a sign of respect when someone handles their problems without burdening others. I started to wonder just how amazing it would be if she did get her life together. The entire dynamic of the Kor family would change. She would take her place as the head of family and be able to handle simple problems with Alan’s care. Meanwhile, I would finally be able to go back to being the screw-up of the family… a job that I’m much more suited for than she is.
Alex and Pamela
Alex seems to be in the final stages of retiring from his job to go full time options trading. He’s currently setting up his “just-in-case-I-screw-up” fund, which should be completed soon. His wife, Pamela, now works for a company that flips houses. I can’t begin to explain how much I love that. I love that she’s in real estate so that, when I retire, I have yet another way to invest and make extra money. Remember, my retirement plan simply gives me a basis that doesn’t rely on paycheck jobs. Post retirement, I will still invest into many different things. I can think of few better investments than those that include flipping properties with Alex and Pam. I’ve even started learning Mandarin through Rosetta Stone and a couple of language books I “borrowed” online. If they truly are the next generation of this family, I feel it shows a sign of respect to learn Pamela’s language as Alex has. There’s also another side of the Kor family (her family) that I’m now related to. Eventually we’re gonna meet (especially once they start having kids), and I don’t like the idea of them learning English and me not learning their language.
My first family update was relatively painless. I’d love to think that all of them will be as upbeat and pleasant, but I’m not that fucking stupid.
No comments:
Post a Comment