Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Gym Results

So I’ve been going to the gym for a little over two months now, and I’m still in love with it. I have to stretch before and after a workout, and then use a heating pad for my back when I get home. Few things make me feel older than using a heating pad, but it feels really good and soothing.

Back in October I did LoseIt and saw that I weighed 198 lbs. I weighed myself at the gym today and I'm now 215 lbs. My eyes widened as I looked at that scale. I'm even back in my size 38s. How the hell did I gain 17 pounds in a little over 2 months?! Even when I ate outside food like a pig last year, I didn’t gain weight this fast. Then I remembered something.

During my drive back to Brooklyn for Thanksgiving, I found it difficult to keep my arms straight while holding the steering wheel. My arms seemed much heavier than usual and I didn’t understand why. But now it makes sense. While some of that weight gain is due to my November food binge, most of it is pure muscle. The new muscle adds to my weight, and here’s some proof:


Everything's coming up Orton!

YES! I have NEVER looked like this. NEVER! Even back when I did modeling, I was always skinny. I’ve always enjoyed looking at myself in the mirror after a shower for a good 10-15 seconds, but now it’s like a full minute. I swear, nothing motivates me more to keep it going at the gym than seeing how good I look every day. Even my once skinny legs now have some bulk on them. So I don't put much emphasis on weight as long as I'm in shape like I appear to be right now. I wonder, how am I gonna look at this time next year if I keep this up? Speaking of which, these are my current weight and reps for certain exercise machines:

Exercise (Reps) - Current Max Weight

Seated Row (15) - 60 lbs
Chest Press (15) - 75 lbs
Leg Press (15) - 260 lbs.
Leg Curl (15) - 120 lbs.   
Lateral Pulldown (15) - 70 lbs.
Shoulder Press (15) - 60 lbs.
Leg Extensions (15) - 100 lbs
Bicep Curl (15) - 30 lbs.
Tricep Pressdown (15) - 50 lbs.
Reclined Sit-ups (30)
Knee Raises (30)

I was going to put weight increase goals for 2016, but I’ve decided against this. I just wanna get stronger and I’ve already seen how dangerous it is to strive for a number. It’ll make me push myself when I don’t really need to, and I’m not young enough to bounce back from injuries like I used to. I’ll move up the weights as time goes on, and log it in every once in a while. Here are the final tips that I've learned for gym workouts this year:

  • Eat breakfast on the morning of workout
  • Do DDP Yoga stretches on morning of workout 
  • Stretch arms, legs, and back before and after a workout
  • DO NOT listen to music during a workout. I hurt myself listening to WWE NXT themes like Sasha Banks and Finn Balor. I got so motivated that I didn't take the breaks I usually take between exercises, and ended out with back pain that kept me away from the gym for 10 days. I don't need the motivation. No more music!
  • Eat peanuts within 30 minutes after the workout.
  • Use a heating pad on my back for at least an hour on the afternoon/evening of the workout.
And that should do it. My experience with the gym has been nothing short of awesome, and I’m very much looking forward to see the changes in my body next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment