Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Loseit! Challenge

On October 19th, I started using LoseIt, challenging myself to log in all my exercises and foods for 30 days straight. The goal was… hmm. You know, I guess I saw it as a challenge at first. On November 19th, I successfully completed this task and looked at the results. Although I didn’t have a plan when I started, my 30 day experiment led to conclusions that were very interesting.

An example of Loseit's tracking system. Sometimes it's better to track the nutrients than the calories. Eating 2500 calories of good nutritious food is FAR better than 1000 calories of junk food.


Recommended Adult Intake / My Average Intake After 4 Weeks


Fat: 70 grams / 80.75 grams

Saturated Fat: 24 grams / 22.5 grams

Sugars: 90 grams (although I like it at 50) / 47.25 grams

Sodium: 2,300 milligrams / 4,047.25 milligrams

Protein: 50 grams (although I like it anywhere over 100) / 108.37 grams

Carbohydrates: 100-150 grams / 313 grams

Cholesterol: 250-300 milligrams / 249 miligrams

Fiber: 38 grams / 47.5 grams


Clearly, I have issues I need to deal with. My sodium, carb, and fat levels are too high. And, while it doesn’t show it, I also need to increase my fiber intake. I averaged 15g for three weeks until I pigged out and had over 100g of fiber on that last week. This month I’m really gonna research foods that are low in carbs and sodium, but higher in fiber and proteins. While being healthy should be enough of a reason to do this, I have an extra incentive:

Took this at the hotel in NYC

Look at that shit! Remember when I had that big gut? Then the ab dimples. And now this! It’s actually starting to form, which means all that work at the gym is paying off. But if I keep eating the wrong foods, it will take longer to get the natural results I’m looking for. My abs, arms, legs chest and back are all getting stronger and I'm getting closer and closer to how I should look. But it would take forever if I keep sabotaging my progress with crappy foods. Loseit did a great job of showing me where I need to improve and eat better. Now I’ll spend all of this month trying to find different foods that meet the requirements.I'll figure this out in time.

P.S.: I know that I'll have to find alternatives for rice and bread, as they are my two biggest sources of carbs and sodium. I have no idea how I'm gonna do that, but I'm willing to undergo the task of finding alternatives that are just as filling. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I use LoseIt!! regularly, yet didn't know that it is possible to view weeks at a time.

    Fat keeps us full. My goal is to have my fat at least 40%, my carbs less than 40%, and my protein over 100 grams. Because I have a lifetime history of binging on food and then exercise to compensate, I have been watching this video lately: https://youtu.be/cOT4QcHgGJE?t=1m

    What are you eating to get your fiber so high? Mine is always low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those goals are about the same as mine, but my current regimen of food makes these goals hard to reach. Meaningful food education takes time for me to both understand and apply.

      As I stated before, I averaged 15g of fiber before that week. I incorrectly stated that I had 100g of fiber a day when it was 100g for that week (fixed). I sometimes eat an entire foot-long turkey sub, made of 14oz of whole wheat bread. My post-workout peanuts also have 4g of fiber in each pack, and the buns that I use for my turkey burgers are 5g of fiber per bun. The marginally gross Black Bean burgers have 8g of fiber per patty, so that can be a very good source if you like that kind of stuff. Oh and I can't forget my whole wheat bagels that I use to make my egg sandwiches on weekends: 4g of fiber per bagel.

      I should also thank you for turning me back on to Loseit (You're a beast on that thing). I honestly didn't think I'd learned this much about my eating habits, and I kind of enjoyed using the "Scan Barcode" option (when it worked). I'll most likely get back on it once I have new foods in my repertoire.

      Delete
  2. I did not say I reach my goal, just that is what it is. :-p LoseIt! helps a lot. It keeps me in line. If it wasn't for that app, I would have gotten immensely fat during my untreated hypothyroidism. All the app did was keep me accountable but that made all the difference and got me to the gym most days.

    I used to like the Scan Barcode option too. Now it has been so long since I've had something to scan that I had forgotten about it.

    ReplyDelete