Groceries: $164.41
Unnecessary Outside Foods and Snacks: $122.88
Total Spent for November 2015: $287.29
![]() |
| Probably the healthiest thing I ate all of November. Roasted veggies with King salmon and fresh SALSA |
Ugh. I really messed up in November. My long streak of keeping my food budget under $200 was officially broken. And, strangely enough, it all started with organic chips.
![]() |
| Evil chips |
![]() |
| Tasted as good as it looked. I underestimated my love of pepperoni pizza. Stronger than M&Ms. Stronger than burgers. Almost as strong as my love of bread |
![]() |
| I hadn't been to Dunkin Donuts in months. In November, I went there at least 3 times for doughnuts and bagels with cream cheese |
Bagels with cream cheese. Donuts. Egg sandwiches from the diner. And more pepperoni pizza. The avalanche of eating outside foods didn’t end until the last day of November, when I had 3 bagels with cream cheese, 5 donuts, and some kind of meat sandwich (can’t remember what kind). It was awful. I spent over $120 on unnecessary outside foods, an act that had another consequence other than misused money. Because I was eating outside foods, I had ignored the groceries I had bought at the beginning of the month. I had to throw about 25% of November’s groceries in the garbage at the end of the month. That felt even worse.
You know, I attack my eating habits in two stages. The first stage is to get used to making food at home. The second stage is to make healthy foods at home. Making foods at home is extremely important because I control the ingredients and it’s automatically better for me. It doesn’t matter if I make unhealthy foods like cream cheese bagels or beef tacos. As long as my nourishment comes from homemade food, I get closer to completing the first stage and move on to the second. So does this mean that it would be okay to eat a pepperoni pizza as long as I make it myself? For stage 1, absolutely!
![]() |
| Black Bean burger. |
December has already started and I seemed to have learned my lesson. I only bring my prepared food to work with me, no chips or snacks. I haven’t developed the willpower to resist gorging and using it as a gateway to eat outside foods. I’ll get there eventually, of course. It just takes time to break the habit, as I learned with McDonald’s.
P.S.: Sometime early next year, I'll buy a big toaster oven so I can start making pepperoni pizza. I want to make it as healthy as possible: wheat flour, organic tomato sauce and mozzarella, and finally some turkey bacon as pepperoni.





I have also learned that I have no control when it comes to chips. They cannot be in my house--period. And hopefully they will never be anywhere that I am allowed to eat. I gorge. It makes sense, corn easily converts to sugar. Sugar is addictive and simple carbs have properties that make us happy (can simulate serotonin).
ReplyDeleteWhile I am good at tracking with LoseIt!, I have never tracked the money I spend. This is a good idea. I can justify ordering Chinese food because Hot & Sour soup is relatively low calorie...yet it is costly and adds up quickly.
I didn't think about the corn conversion, but that does make perfect sense. I'm not at your level yet, where I can say goodbye to sugars just yet. Chips are still a big part of my diet, as they help me stop those midnight runs for M&Ms on weekend nights. I can feel myself slowly transitioning from chips to fruits, but it'll take time. I'm guessing that I'll be done with chips completely by the end of 2016, but who knows.
ReplyDeleteNone of my changes were made quickly. I have been slowly changing my diet over the past 5 years or so. Even slowly, it is tough.
ReplyDeleteCheck this out: http://trixieracerblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-fell-off-wagon_16.html I seriously didn't stage that photo. I woke up looking like that and had no idea why.
It's been a while since I saw a photo that was equally sad and funny...
DeleteI'm beginning to learn patience when it comes to making errors. I used to get really down on myself when I'd make one little mistake, but bigger picture perspective makes all the difference. People that understand the folly of quick fixes and fast results are usually the ones who make the lasting changes and are better off for it.