Saturday, August 2, 2014

Shoring Up Before the Trip

Before I leave for Brooklyn and 3 days of fun and relaxation with Brooklyn Mike, my plan was to get everything shored up. I wanted the basement of Property X finished and the basement apartment at Property 1 finished as well. The plan was for Pelcom Nick to finish Property X today, and then do the basement apartment tomorrow. As usual, plans go awry when dealing with Property X.

Because Tisha complained that the work being done in the basement was interfering with her at-home job, we agreed to have him go back there at 10:30am today to finish the job while she’s out. This is what we agreed on at the time she suggested. I added the garage roof to the list of things for him to do, and gave him the materials. At 12:03pm, Pelcom Nick called me and sounded completely exhausted:

Nick: Hey Akhenaten, look I can’t do this anymore.

Me: What’s up?

Nick: I got the lady’s son here yelling at me that I’m making too much noise in the basement and I can’t take this shit. I’m tired of these people yelling at me… I don’t care how much you pay me.

Me: Ugh…

Nick: Yeah man, he’s all yelling “This should have been done during the week, not the weekend!” But I didn’t bother to argue. I just got my stuff and got the hell outta there.

Me: Ugh. Alright man, forget it. Don’t bother going back there. I’ll just have you do the [basement apartment] job tomorrow and we’ll save that job for another time.

Un-fucking-believable! So, does this mean her son also has autism? Ugh! No standard background check would have been able to see this, so I know I’d be in this situation no matter what. The real lesson to be learned here is to never sign a one year lease with a tenant. Never again. She was insistent that she get a year lease, and I think it’s because she knows that she’s a massive pain in the fucking ass. I could have had both her and that idiot Mallory out by October, but now I have to deal with this unreasonable mongrel until May of 2015. And if one thinks that taking a tenant to eviction court because she’s fucking annoying is a good reason for a judge to break the lease and evict, think again. Judges like straight forward stuff, like “non-payment” or “lease expiration”. It’s simple, and I need to remember this the next time some asshole wants a year lease. I called her phone and left a message, telling her that I’m not sending my handymen over anymore since both she and her son won’t stop insulting him and prevent him from doing the job THEY ASKED to be done.

I’m hoping this leads to her leaving, as I would gladly let her out of her lease so I can move a human tenant in there. That would be a dream come true, which is why I know that’s not gonna happen. I never get what I want when it comes to that accursed Property X. I’ll have to wait and see what her response will be, but I’ve completely had it with her. So I’m having Pelcom Nick finish the basement apartment tomorrow (and maybe Monday as well). He has to assemble the bedroom set, set up the TV stand, and grout the tile on the floor. That’s right. I finished tiling the rooms in the basement. Sure, it looks like shit. The tile spacing is off and the uneven foundation causes some tile to be at different heights than others. But the fact that I now have a floor makes me feel extremely good, and applying the grout should make everything look much better. I leave on Tuesday, and then I'll come back to a finished basement apartment.

My apartment. An actual apartment. No more cave! I will finally be able to buy groceries. I can do work on my computer when I get home, and research stocks with the internet connection I plan to get (Time Warner Cable 50 Mbps plan). Or I can play games to relieve the stress I get from tenants like Tisha. And it’ll all be on a nice big 50” flat screen TV. Food. Entertainment. Being able to finally walk barefoot on a floor. Now that’s a homecoming to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment