Thursday, October 23, 2014

Did You Get That Memo?

You know, I... hmm. Ugh.

On Tuesday night I was working at the shipping depot. A truck comes going outbound and it's my job to check them before he goes. I have to check his paperwork and make sure it matches with the trailers' seal numbers. If it does, then he's free to go. If not, I have to call Linehaul to come out and fix the problem. Got it? Okay. So I'm checking this guy's paperwork and see that he only has one paper, but it has all the truck info written on it. He doesn't have the official print outs. I check the trailers to make sure the numbers match, and then let him go. About a half hour later, I get a call from Linehaul:

Linehaul Lady: Why did you let that truck leave when he didn't have any paperwork?

Me: He had the paperwork I needed to check the truck so I let him go.

Linehaul Lady: No, he needs to have ALL the paperwork before you let him go. We still have the papers here waiting for him but he's already gone now.

Me: Okay, no problem.

Linehaul Lady: Well actually it is a problem! Just make sure you check that the driver has all the paperwork before you let him go.

Me: Okay.

And that was that. Obviously I didn't mean to say “no problem”, but it's just something I'm used to saying. So anyway, I get a call from my boss Charles the next morning, asking me what happened. He said that the Linehaul boss called and yelled at him about what happened the other night. He kept asking stupid questions like:

How did she sound when she talked to you?
Was she mad?


What a bitch. I explained everything to him, and that was that... again. Tomorrow I have to go back to the shipping depot, and I'm sure I'll have to hear it from someone else. Ugh!

This annoying sequence of events reminds me of a scene in one of my absolute favorite movies, Office Space. The lead guy makes one mistake in not filing his TPS report correctly, and he has to hear about it from three different bosses, including his co-workers. Everyone comes up to him and asks "Did you get that memo" about the TPS reports? Letting the truck go out with all the paperwork is actually not a big deal at all, because they can simply fax it to his destination and the problem is solved. It's happened hundreds of times since I've been working there, none by me. I make one mistake in almost five years of work and they make it seem like I just shot the president in the ass.

This may seem small to most people, but for me it's just another annoying example of why I need to retire from these jobs. As a security guard, I have to deal with all the egos and all the jackasses that prop themselves up with their job titles. People talk down to security guards all the time. We're the first ones killed in the movies. Maybe this is why security guards are voted most likely to go on killing sprees. It wasn't enough that I made a simple mistake and acknowledged it... ugh, I really gotta get out of this rat race.

Had I focused on retirement rather than $1,000,000 in assets when I first started my real estate journey, I would have been retired at this point. But trust me, I'm focused on it now. I'll get there soon enough, and then the days of being subservient to the wills and attitudes of those lesser than me will be over.

P.S.: I'm gonna put Office Space on my phone and watch it while at the shipping depot tomorrow. I really miss that movie, and it was one of the first movies that really put it in my head that I don't have to be successful by doing things the way everyone else does. School, job for 30 years, retirement, pension... no thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment