You know, I really don't like people and I never have. It's not a catchphrase I use to carve out an identity or anything... I seriously just don't like people in general. When I was a kid I used to think that there was something wrong with me. I mean, it couldn't be true that everyone around me are assholes, right? Well, after years and years of living I can say that it's not me. It's them. And Sam (formerly known as Sha) is a perfect example of this.
Last week Friday Sam and I went to Trader Joe's. Before that, however, I had to swing by Property X to see how the roofers are doing. Sam was in the running for the job, but gave a quote of $8000 vs. the roofer's quote of $8800. When we got there, Sam started pointing out all the things they were doing wrong. He kept asking me to look at the materials because they didn't buy enough roofing felt for the entire roof. Throughout the rest of the day, he continued teasing me for “being scammed” and that's what I get for choosing locals. It put a lot of thoughts into my head, and I really thought I got scammed. I called up the roofing contractor and made sure he gave me a detailed list of receipts. I started getting mad like I usually do, and then I realized what Sam had done. He wasn't looking out for a friend. If he were, he wouldn't say it with that... that smugness that only I should have. He was simply pissed off that he didn't get the job, and wanted to point out everything he thought the roofers were doing wrong. He knows how angry I get when I feel someone has taken advantage of me, and he used that to mess with my head. Hmm.
I've tried using Sam's guys and it has always ended up poorly. The last time I used his guys was to repair Property X's downstairs unit after I evicted Laura Cole back in 2011. Their job was to clean up the garbage, while I got another handyman to paint. They agreed to do it. The next day, I get a call from Sam stating that his guys don't want to do the job anymore because they wanted to paint as well:
Me: Who cares what they want to do? They agreed to do the job and I paid them half already, so they have to do the job.
Sam: Well they don't think it's fair because it's like they're doing all the dirty work while someone else gets to do the painting. Understand?
Me: Fuck no. Are they gonna do the fucking job they were paid to do or not?
Sam: I mean, I'll try to get them out to maybe do a little bit here and there, but I can't force them to do it.
I ended up finishing the cleaning, including cleaning out the garage which had a smell I will never forget. It was like the combo of dirty diapers, vomit, and hate. From that day on I promised not to use Sam's guys ever again. When I asked him about the roof a couple weeks ago, I was expecting him to give me a name of a guy he used, not HIS guy. Anyway, the events of Friday left a bitter taste, and I considered ending my acquaintanceship with Sam. I've done a great job getting rid of useless people in my life this year (Sam's wife included). And I no longer just block their numbers, because they'll sometimes see me on the street and think it's okay to speak to me. I now call them to let them know that I don't want to speak with them anymore. The response is usually comical, with them cursing me out or whatever but I don't care. Whatever it takes to get rid of them I'll gladly do. So I wondered, “What's keeping me from getting rid of Sam as well?” If I can't use him for real estate purposes, then all that's left are dick jokes. Is that worth keeping him around?
I was all set to call him the next day when it hit me. I can't get rid of Sam. Not yet. See, Sam started buying properties before me, and had help from his family to make his purchases. At his height, Sam had over 30 rental properties. But he didn't keep up with the payments and lost at least half of them, choosing to spend the rent money on vacations and personal stuff instead. Out of his remaining properties, he only pays the mortgage on some of them, using the rents from the ones deadlocked in foreclosure limbo to pay the principal on the ones he wants to keep. As for me, I did all of it on my own. I worked hard, made mistakes, and made sure not to screw over the banks that trusted me enough to lend me money to buy a property. How great would it feel when, in about 3 years, I'll be retired from working while Sam is busy with his expensive wife, destroyed credit, and still doing security work to make that “little extra”? He'll probably have a couple kids by then, so that's more money down the drain. I smiled when I thought about this. My ego would be bursting with joy at the thought of shoving it in his face that I'm the better man. And it's not to prove anything to him or anyone. That's not me. I already know I'm the greatest man that's ever existed, but to actually have the proof right there in front of him would be oh so sweet.
So I'll avoid talking to him about anything except for dick jokes. The events of Friday really pissed me off, and I don't need that kind of negativity. Besides, it's pointless to convince someone like me that I've failed at something. But I won't throw him away just yet. My ego has put up with so much crap these last 6 years, and it deserves that rainbow at the end of the storm. Even if it means keeping a relationship going purely out of spite. I've done worse for less...
No comments:
Post a Comment