Yesterday I got a call from Mallory at Property X, letting me know that she found a place and will be moving out this weekend. As happy as I am that she's leaving, I had a lot of anxiety after our phone call. It was enough anxiety to make me eat 6 turkey burgers.
This means that I start renting out the upstairs unit of Property X next week Monday. While I've shown units to hundreds of people, I haven't done it in a while and I usually need a refresher. I looked through my old blog and, while I found some helpful tips here and there, there was no single post that had everything I learned about renting apartments out to tenants. There was the Rent-Out Guide post, but even that was no where near as comprehensive and thorough as I would like. So, sometime between today and Sunday, I'll write a post that lists all my do's and don'ts. It'll be one of those posts that I'll update from time to time, like whenever I learn something new or when someone gives me a good tip.
I should never feel anxious when I have a unit to rent out but, after blaming myself for all the problems at Property X with the tenants I've chosen, I feel pressure. I have to do this right. Once I move in the new tenant into Mallory's apartment, I'll wait until Tisha's lease is up (May 2015) and then throw her ass out as well. By the end of June 2015, Property X should be rented out to human tenants... the first time since I started managing it.
P.S.: Getting good tenants in there will definitely make it easier to give it over to a property management company. I need to know that my mom Anita, the owner of the property, won't have to worry about crazy tenants messing up her money when she retires next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment