01/09/2015
Tesla Inc. (TSLA)
Bought 40 shares at 206.12
Jetblue (JBLU)
Bought 100 shares at 14.42
01/20/2015
Sold 40 shares of TSLA at 190.50 for a
$627.97 LOSS
01/26/2015
American Airlines (AAL)
Bought 140 shares at 55.89
01/28/2015
Sold 140 shares at 52.62 for a $472.11
LOSS
Bought 450 shares of JBLU at 16.24
02/02/2015
Sold 550 shares of JBLU at 16.55 for a
$339.47 PROFIT
After months of sim trading with the
Stock Market Simulator, it was time to do it for real. Before doing
this, my brother Alex, who will retire this year due to his success
in options and futures, gave me some advice:
- Keep my emotions out of it. Once I have a plan and it makes sense to me, see it through.
- Do NOT invest the entire $10,000 to start. I’m a novice, and what should be important to me is my win/loss ratio, not the amount of money I make. I should invest a max of $1000 to start.
As what happens when most morons get
good advice, I ignored it and did my own thing. I started off buying
40 shares of TSLA, followed by 100 shares of JBLU. I had a good
feeling about airline stocks this year due to the low oil prices, so
I figured JBLU would be a safe bet. Why I chose to invest more money in the wildcard than the safe bet I'll never know. TSLA is one of the stocks that
Nino tracks and not one of mine, so I didn’t know too much about
it. What I know is that it’s a very active stock that goes up and
down regularly, and I thought 206 was its low point. My plan was to
hold it for two weeks. And I was right… that is until the company’s
founder, Elon Musk, went on stage at the Detroit Auto Show to state
that business in China isn’t going so well. The stock plummeted $15
after hours, and I could do nothing but sit there in disbelief. Why
the fuck would the owner of a car company go to an autoshow of ALL
PLACES to talk bad about his own company?? That’s like a production studio paying for
advertising at a movie convention and the ad says, “My movie
sucks!” I finally did some research and saw that Elon makes these
types of blunders all the time. He talks a lot and many times he
makes bold predictions that don’t come true.
The next week I was supposed to hold it
until that Friday, as that was the original plan. Seeing the stock
sink below $190 on Monday, however, made me change my mind. Articles started coming out about how overvalued the company is and my resolve buckled. The
stock just gonna keep going down, I thought. So I sold all 40 shares.
The very next day, the stock went up $5. The next day, another $5.
Had I stuck to my original plan I would have made most of my money
back, but I made an emotional decision and I lost a lot of hard
earned money.
Next came the AAL and JBLU earnings
reports. Since I had such a good view of the airlines, my plan was to
buy AAL shares, and then sell after their earnings report comes out.
I’ll then use that profit to buy more JBLU shares just before their
earnings report, and that should be good. AAL’s earnings report
came out and it was great… their best earnings report in years.
Yet, for some godforsaken reason, the stock went down 5% that day.
The next day another 1%. It's still down to this day and I have no idea why! I took my money out and was down by $901. I used the remaining money to invest in JBLU. The first couple of hours the
stock was down, and I was starting to think this was AAL all over
again. At one point, I was down $1500. By 10:00am, however, the stock
was up 5%, and ended the day up a massive 8.75%. I couldn’t sell
immediately, however, because I waited too long to sell my AAL stock
and there’s a 3 day holdover between when one buys a stock with the
money sold from another stock. Had I sold AAL when I was supposed to,
I could have taken my money out the very next morning and made a
couple hundred more dollars with JBLU. Ugh!
Lessons Learned:
I was afraid I’d treat this new
venture with hesitation. I thought that maybe I’d be afraid to make
my first trade with so much real money on the line. But I was dead
wrong. The Stock Simulator prepared me for exactly how I would feel
when I lost/gained real money, and that felt good. That was the first
step.
Now that I know I can trade with the
same boldness that I buy properties, it’s time to get smart. I must
have a plan for every month’s trade and stick to it. Had I done
that, I would have never bought TSLA, as my original plan was to buy
JBLU and keep it until 1/29. Had I done that, I would have made
$1,742. But I had no game plan. When Nino told me about TSLA I jumped
on it, and it cost me big. And I did a bad job controlling my emotions
with TSLA, but I have very good overall feeling that I’ll be able
to control them in future trades.
You seem to be doing a lot of trading. Do you ever want to invest in long term dividend payers and create a passive income stream with solid dividend stocks instead?
ReplyDeleteHonestly I wasn't. That was until I happened upon Asset Grinder's website. What I saw was absolutely inspiring and I started to consider dividends. Your site also has some crazy amounts of strategy that I know nothing about, so it will definitely be an interest of mine later in the year. Right now, however, I'll have to wait a while before I get started. Dividends, from the little I know of them, require a sizable investment into different stocks in order to make a decent monthly profit. I have to buy my 4th property sometime this year, and then start paying off my other properties. My priorities appear to go in this order: Retire from jobs, manage my properties, and then stocks. Right now I need to invest into stocks with quick trades, so that I'll be able to purchase Property 4 when it pops up in the next few months. So I'll wait on the sidelines until I'm ready to go into the game. Until then I'll be watching guys like yourself and Asset Grinder so that when the time comes I'll be ready. Dividends and futures seem like the way to go...
DeleteI'll also look for options and dividends simulators, so that I can get real world experience before jumping into the pool. It's what I did with stock trading, so I'm confident I'll develop a strategy in the same way.