Friday, September 11, 2015

Why So Slim

When I started talking to Darlene she asked for more pictures of me. I didn’t have any, so I had to go back to my modeling days from almost 10 years ago. I saved them on every computer I've ever had along with my graduation pics from college. It’d been a very long time since I saw them and was surprised when I saw that I was actually out of shape compared to how I am now. I think I weighed something like 220 back then. But how much do I weigh now? Well, I worked half of a Saturday shift at the bank job and decided to weigh myself on a scale in one of the offices.

199. I’m under 200 pounds for the first time since high school. This is where Alison Sweeney would say something like, “You are at 199, for a percentage of weight loss of… 17%.” That’s pretty crazy, especially since my goal was to be in shape, not necessarily to lose weight. Besides the healthy eating, there are other reasons why I’ve lost 41 pounds in about a year’s time. 

Home Made

The first is the obvious one: I eat mostly homemade foods. Except for my monthly dinners with Damon and the rare times I eat out with Sam, I actually prefer to eat food made at home. I control the ingredients and the quality of the food. See, I eat just as much food now as I did when I would eat from restaurants every day. What's crazy is that I would gain weight even when the stuff I ate was considered healthy foods. So there has to be a major difference in the ingredient quality if eating the same amount of outside and homemade food can have such contrasting effects on my body. And the foods are only going to get better. As my August 2015 Food Report showed, I’m starting to learn what spices go to what foods (especially that paprika!). So my homemade foods will only get better as time goes on, making it easier to choose homemade over restaurant foods on a daily basis.


Skipping Breakfast

I like my morning routine. I wake up, eat cereal while watching a cartoon, then take a shower and go to work. But many times I don’t get out of bed in time to do follow this routine regularly. So I would skip breakfast and wait until I get home from work to finally eat some food. Having one less meal will definitely make me lose a couple pounds. However, this is not a good thing. Skipping breakfast is quite awful because I have to go throughout the day burning fuel that I don’t have. It’s actually a very unhealthy way to lose weight, so I consider this something that has to stop. I actually like eating a good breakfast before work, as it gives my basement apartment a sense of home. So I’ll work harder to make sure I’m out of bed by 5:45am every weekday morning, and by 9:00am for weekend mornings. My body is getting used to sleeping on a comfortable bed for the first time in years, so getting up after a good night’s sleep should be easier to do as time goes on.

Bank Job

I do 8 rounds every day in the bank job’s parking garage. Using Loseit math, I burn 572 calories with every shift. My average cereal breakfast is just 300 calories max, and that’s for 2 bowls. So by the time I come home, I still have 2200 calories to eat for the day, and that very rarely happens. From air-fried tater tots and George Foreman grilled turkey burgers to rice (or veggies) with salmon and turkey paninis, it’s very difficult to reach that 2500 calorie intake that science says I’m supposed to. Less calories means lost weight, simple as that. With the daily exercise I get from my parking garage rounds, it makes it even easier to lose weight because I’m burning about a third of the calories I consume.

I think that just about does it. It’s important to note that these reasons are all connected. For example, when I was eating outside foods every day, I still did those 8 rounds in the parking garage and gained weight regardless. It’s not just the exercise, but the exercise combined with the healthy eating that makes me lose weight. And when my back fully heals and I continue where I left off with DDP Yoga, my weight loss will be at a faster pace. This might actually cause me to eat more food to stay at a healthy weight, which is kind of funny if one thinks about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment