Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Pushup Challenge

I'm at work right now. Even with the wand broken, I like coming here at least once or twice a week for Yoruba studies or to write posts without hearing footsteps above me like I do in the basement. Plus it's Wednesday, which means the museum is having another Wednesday recital. Anyway, this last week and a half has been great. Decent sleep. Beautiful weather. No major property issues so far. But the coolest part has been the workouts.

I’ve been looking for a workout challenge to do while I wait for my yoga mat to come from Amazon. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy did 200 pushups a day for 30 days, then compared the results. He would do sets of 20 throughout the day and, in the end, his chest muscles and biceps looked really good in comparison. He did it just for fun (and most likely for the YouTube views), so I wanted to copy him. The thing was that I was in no shape to do 200 pushups a day. But 100? Maybe.

My pushup bars, which cost $8 at Walmart. Even with the padding it hurts the palm of my hand. So I'll either have to wear gloves or buy the more expensive set that's closer to the ground and more comfortable.

I did my first set of pushups two weeks ago, the first strengthening exercise I'd done since I stopped going to the gym. I ended up being able to do 8 pushups. That’s it. 8. About a year ago I was able to do a set of 30. In college I was able to do sets of 100. And now I could only do 8?? For lack of a better word, I was humbled. Once the shame subsided I knew I could get better if I kept trying, and that’s what I did. At the shipping depot, I would do a set of 10 every time a truck came in. I also started watching UFC fights, and I would do a set of 10 after every fight. This past weekend I did 260 pushups (130 each day) and my chest was TIGHT! My shoulders were in a lot of pain, but I was smiling ear to ear. It’s that good kind of pain that I missed so much.

This pushup challenge has produced some excellent results so far. I did my first set of 15 last weekend. Early this morning, I did my first set of 20. By the end of October, I should be able to do at least 25 per set. My tits are finally starting to look and feel like a man’s chest again. And most importantly, I feel like working out again. Pushups are fun to do, so it only makes sense that it makes me want to exercise in general. My yoga mat should be in today so I can start the full DDP Yoga exercises as soon as next week. And somehow I’ll have to incorporate the pushups into the DDP workouts because I want to do both.

P.S: You know, one of the reasons I love this cool weather is for the morning energy. I come into work, grab the equipment, and then do one round before I sneak out. That cold morning air is such an invigorating feeling when I'm running up the stairs or doing a workout, especially knowing that I'm not going to sweat and feel gross afterwards. This cool weather is really helping me get back into shape, so it's not all about the pushup challenge. And I know I said that I don't like doing different types of workout programs... thankfully I'm staying true to that. I'm using this challenge as a way to get back to DDP Yoga, the only program I know that both gives me the results I want and is very easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment