For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a mad love affair with food. I would eat and eat as a kid and never gain a pound. Even through high school I was always the skinny kid. As I went through college, my bad eating habits finally started catching up to my metabolism. Working god-awful hours at various security jobs to pay tuition, as well as taking up to four classes at a time, really screwed me up and I would eat like a maniac.
Just as college was ending, I found out that I ha… you know what? I’m not going there anymore. I no longer feel comfortable bringing that subject up and I’ll try to steer away from that whenever tempted. Okay, let’s start this again.
When I jumped ship from Brooklyn to Smalltown, I was back to my old situation: working a ton of jobs trying to reach a goal. Once again I ate like crazy and my weight ballooned from 220 to 240”ish”. It took my weight gain to realize just how much food is tied into emotion. The more stressed out I was, the more food I ate. No matter what exercise system I do, like Beachbody Insanity or P90X, the weight will always come back unless something changes in my mind. After all, one can’t have weight loss when he/she works out 7 days a week and eats shitty foods. But one can lose weight if he/she eats the right foods and the right amounts of it while never picking up a barbell or ever do a jumping jack. It’s all in the mind.
The beginning of this year was horrible for me both financially and personally. The cost of repairs from Property X as well as dealing with the African tenants and my whole family drama. I ate really crappy foods, including a massive Big Mac binge. But a couple of injuries to both my foot and back really made me stop and think about how I destroy myself with food. So I started doing DDP Yoga, an exercise program that’s a hybrid of the YRG workouts. It was the only thing I can do with my bad back, and so far it has been tremendous. It focuses on the concept of losing weight through dynamic resistance, or using my own body tensions to get into shape. As of now, it’s been about 4 weeks of DDP Yoga and my pants that I’ve been busting out of now fit comfortably again. My face isn’t as puffy as it used to be, and my natural energy is very high. But I don’t attribute this solely to DDP Yoga. Most of it comes from eating the right foods, which I’ve been doing quite frequently. All the dynamic resistance in the world won’t mean a thing unless I put good things into my body.
During the weekdays my food is almost exactly the same. Egg whites with wheat bread (untoasted) for breakfast, followed by a Create-Your-Own wrap for lunch. The wrap is usually an organic wheat tortilla with grilled chicken, corn, tomatoes, beans, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and fresh mozzarella cheese with sweet onion dressing on the side. For dinner, I usually snack on something from the Natural Foods store, like trail mix or Skinny Pop. And, as much as it may seem so, I am not forcing myself to eat this way. I’m addicted to the way I feel when I eat healthy foods. I’m also a creature of habit, as I once went two years eating the same turkey sandwich for lunch. I can eat the same foods over and over again as long as I enjoy the taste. This works for me, and I plan to experiment with more foods once my kitchen is finally built.
On this section of the blog, I’ll be writing about my experiences with food, weekly recordings of my DDP Yoga exercises, and anything else that has to do with my health. I have a vague idea of how much I weigh, but I'm more concerned with being healthy and letting everything fall into place. Just as I make myself accountable for my actions in real estate, I plan to do the same with my health. And, it will feel good to finally be able to write posts solely about my health, and not mix it up with anything else. My health is important enough to have its own section.
No comments:
Post a Comment