Thursday, July 31, 2014

Water Hunger

Two Sundays ago, I was at the shipping depot watching a movie and drinking my water. At around 8:00pm, I noticed that I was getting very hungry. This didn’t make sense, as I had already eaten my two Flatizzas and Double Chicken Grilled Salad (spinach, tomatoes, green peppers, a spoonful of that very spicy peppery stuff, and sweet onion sauce on the side). I don’t usually get this hungry and, if I do, I usually eat some popcorn. So I started eating a huge bag of popcorn from Earth Balance, and I ended up finishing the whole damned thing. Still, I felt very hungry. I finally caved and ordered two hamburgers from the pizza place, one of which turned out to be spoiled. I felt like crap, but I was really confused as to why I felt so hungry. The next morning I realized what it was… the water.

When I drink too much water, I get that empty feeling in my stomach and it makes my body think that I’m hungry when I’m not. I love drinking water, but I have to learn how to drink it in moderation. Currently, I consume a little under a gallon of water every day. While that’s all fine and good--- especially with my schedule of two jobs and DDP Yoga--- I can’t have too much water at night. It’ll make me feel like I’m hungry, and that will usually lead to unnecessary eating. While I plan to have my new refrigerator stocked with healthy snacks just in case, it really shouldn’t have to come to that. During the day, I should have a max of three bottle of water (about 60 oz), and then one or two more bottle of water for the rest of evening. In other words, more water when I’m most active, and less water when I’m not.

No comments:

Post a Comment